Vista is "a warmed over copy of Mac OS X Tiger"

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
L

Left Face Down

techster82 said:
Isn't the saying something like "imitation is the highest form of flattery"?

Ok, your point? I mean, I understand where you are going with this but my point is Windows copies Linux/Mac... Mac copies Win/Linux... Linux copies Win/Mac. We all copy eachother, it's just the way the world turns.

Some one is always going to have a heads up on the others and then the others will "copy" that thing as much as they can with out getting sued. Just for the record, and totally random statement to this post, I like the little Windows logo being the start menu. I also like that the bar itself has been "Squished" a little bit to be closer to the size of the bar on a Mac.

I was hopeing they'd do that, and when I first saw it I was so happy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Core solo Mac mini 1.5GHz, Headless Powerbook G4 500MHz
I say let them have their Windows, as most of you know, im getting a Core Solo Mac Mini in 18 days and I recently(yesterday) put my PC in the closet!, im using my PB 3400 with OS 9 because when I went to Login to windows XP, it said Falied to log in because of account disabilites, Im the Administrator! so Im using my PB 3400 till my birthday(May 9th) Im just fed up with windows and it's problems
[/End Rant]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Windows has their OS, and we have Mac OS X. I think I will stay on Macs side of the fence and not care to much about what goes on in Window's backyard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
dimagex20 said:
Windows has their OS, and we have Mac OS X. I think I will stay on Macs side of the fence and not care to much about what goes on in Window's backyard.

I agree. The problem is that you come to a Mac forum to discuss the Mac and Mac related things, and yet there seems to be an unchecked Windows gang going around and defending MS and arguing about OSX vs Vista/XP. They seem to have the attitude that it is their job to enlighten us to how bad Windows isn't, despite the fact that nearly every Mac user here has chosen the Mac over Windows for some reason. Seems to that if this a Mac forum, why is this happening? If you want to go praise MS and Windows, go find a Windows forum.

Reaction score
On a different approach, I have an intel Mac and decided to use the parrellels option instead of Boot Camp. I found that a little copy of windows 98 running as and when i needed it in a VM form was a good thing.

Personally I have stated on here before that Vista is a big white elephant. As someone who purchases my office IT equipment i would see no real benefit going from XP to Vista and this will be part of the problem. Vista is to my mind like a Porsche you've bought, the ad said it had electric windows and a turbo and a flashy stereo setup. When it arrives about 2 years late you find that the windows are winders, theres no turbo in fact the engine is the same as the older 95 version of the car.....I mean who would really buy into that????

I laugh at the latest series of MS ad's showing the chalked castles round a laptop etc...talking about security and protection. To my mind if you build a castle out of sand dont expect it weather the storm! Vista will be a house of cards and I do hope it causes MS sufficient pain and public failure, who knows perhaps they will finally put Bill out to pasture and actually start creating some decent products again!

OP
A

ANDS!

baggss said:
If you want to go praise MS and Windows, go find a Windows forum.

Because APPLE now makes products that can run MICROSOFT software. So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier that have kept some users from experiencing the well crafted design of an APPLE product, without having to ditch the ease of use of Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ANDS! said:
Because APPLE now makes products that can run MICROSOFT software. So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier that have kept some users from experiencing the well crafted design of an APPLE product, without having to ditch the ease of use of Windows.

Wether I like it or not is immaterial. There have been programs that allowed you to run Windows on a Mac for some time and some years back there was the ability to add a PCI card to your Mac that would run Windows natively. This is not really a new or huge issue, but folks like you seem to want to make it a huge issue. If Apple were including a copy of WinXP with the purchase of new Mac or Bootcamp, I would still not consider it huge. Running Windows on your Mac simply makes it a pretty PC that happens to be made by Apple. Nothing more, nothing less and certainly not the big deal you are making it out to be.

OP
A

ANDS!

Nothing more, nothing less and certainly not the big deal you are making it out to be.

You are just one cranky MAC user arent you. . .funny because I actually thought - "hey maybe that stereotype about the pompous MAC user is just that - a stereotype. . ."

Great - youre unimpressed with BOOTCAMP, its your right, and by God you can scream it from the rafters.

I am, and it has put APPLE in the list of contenders for a laptop upgrade. I'm not particularly concerned whether you think this new tech SPECIFICALLY supported by APPLE is deserving of my attention. Im exploring my options, and dropping a line where I see fit - if that doesnt agree with you. . .tough.

Salud

OP
L

Left Face Down

ANDS! said:
You are just one cranky MAC user arent you. . .funny because I actually thought - "hey maybe that stereotype about the pompous MAC user is just that - a stereotype. . ."

Lets see here, first off Apple is who came out with the software to put Windows on their machines so what you previously said was wrong. (see quote below)

ANDS! said:
So whether you like it or not, Windows has now broken down that barrier

Now on to the next isssue...

ANDS! said:
Great - youre unimpressed with BOOTCAMP, its your right, and by God you can scream it from the rafters.

It's been done before... as stated above. It's not THAT new... and people are making it out to be a lot more than it is.

That's really all I have to say. Also, FYI... I don't own a Mac and while I did have plans, I was some what forced due to various reasons into replacing my PC laptop with another PC laptop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ANDS! said:

I am, and it has put APPLE in the list of contenders for a laptop upgrade. I'm not particularly concerned whether you think this new tech SPECIFICALLY supported by APPLE is deserving of my attention. Im exploring my options, and dropping a line where I see fit - if that doesnt agree with you. . .tough.

Salud

If bootcamp is luring you to buy a Mac laptop, than Apples plan has worked. I don't care what you do, as long as it is best for you. Just because this is a big deal fore you doesn't make it a big deal for everybody. Coming from the PC world it may seem like a huge thing for you. Coming from the Mac world, this doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

If you choose to lump me in with a stereotype, thats fine, but just because I don't agree with you doesn't make cranky or pompous, it makes me an individual with an opinion that differs from yours. You are fitting into the typical Windows stereotype in the same breath as you accuse me.

Reaction score
wooo

Come on guys lets calm down a bit. At the end of the day there is no real Mac-Windows stereotypes because we all want to be gettingthe best from our systems. I would love to openly invite every dissatisfied Windows User to the Mac world. **** if there is something you would like to change and you are willing to have a slight learning curve then OSX on a mac is the best. My one sadness in life is that Apple do not promote OSX enough, if the lay man knew the massive advatanges over windows then perhaps more Mac units would be shifted. I am not a Mac elitist and feel tha i would like everyone to participate in the mac party!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I think it's hilarious that some of you went crazy over my comment about imitation being flattery when it was a pro-Apple statement. If Microsoft feels the need to mimic OS X because it is a better operating system then Apple should walk around with it's chest poked out. Do some of you just sit their waiting until I post a comment so you can automatically attack it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There was some ambiguity about what you were trying to say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 20" Intel Core Duo
baggss said:
I If you want to go praise MS and Windows, go find a Windows forum.

Sounds like you need to grow up.The real world (nor forums) cater to just what you like.

You've been eating too much rainbow stew with a silver spoon. :dummy:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excuse me? The name of the Forums are "Mac-Forums" so therefore it is, by design, intended to be a place to discuss "Mac related issues". If this were a general computer forum, I might agree, but this IS a Mac based forum Which part of that don't you seem to get?

As for growing up, perhaps you should take some of your own advise. Since your profile doesn't show that you own any Macs, one can guess that you are here simply to stir up trouble and start a flame war.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
baggss, I fully understand where you are coming from not thinking that Windows should be talked about on a mac forum. But on the other side of the argument, running XP on "Macs" is a viable and soon to be supported function from Apple. This leads me to think that because it has EVERYTHING to do with Macs, there should be an area of the forum for topics such as these to be discussed. Until that is set up, we are going to continue to see people going back and forth on the issue, and alot of diehard Apple users are going to continue to be upset about Windows discussion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Techster82, Agreed.

Also, I have nothing against a little talk about Windows as long as it does not turn into a war. Lately that has happened a lot.

OP
L

lil

*tries to remember what she posted this thread for...*

Ahem. Anyway, I need my asbestos suit. :flower:

Vicky

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
lil said:
*tries to remember what she posted this thread for...*

Ahem. Anyway, I need my asbestos suit. :flower:

Vicky

I put on mine last night!!

:spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
techster82 said:
baggss, I fully understand where you are coming from not thinking that Windows should be talked about on a mac forum. But on the other side of the argument, running XP on "Macs" is a viable and soon to be supported function from Apple. This leads me to think that because it has EVERYTHING to do with Macs, there should be an area of the forum for topics such as these to be discussed. Until that is set up, we are going to continue to see people going back and forth on the issue, and alot of diehard Apple users are going to continue to be upset about Windows discussion.

I agree. If the forum staff decide to set a Windows on mac forum, I would be all for it. I can understand that there are those, yourself included, dislike it when folks mindlessly bash Windows, just like there are folks ,like me, who dislike a lot of general Windows discussion on a Mac forum. I think there is a compromise to made and I think you and I both agree on what it is.

dtravis7 said:
I put on mine last night!!

:spook:

Trust me, while this may have been flaming for this forum, there are places I frequent where this would be considered a "Civilized" discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.