Refurbished?

M

MarteDVX

I was looking around Apples refurbished section on their site. I came across a Powerbook 15" for $1599. I see it comes with a one year warranty and seems pretty trustworthy because I am buying it from Apple. I feel I can't go wrong, just have a little bit of uneasyness because it is Refurbished and not brand new. I have never bought a refurbished computer before. Can anyone enlighten me of their refurbished purchases and how they worked out for you. And if you had any problems, or if you returned it, and what happened? :doctor:

Thanks,
-Zach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP- 2.4GHz (13-inch), 8GB, 250GB; Mac mini 2.0, 2GB, 120GB HD; 2017 iPad 9.7, iPhone 11Pro (64GB)
I bought my parents a refurbished 20-inch iMac from Apple in early December 05 and there haven't been any problems. I know several people that have purchased refurbished from Apple and haven't had any problems either. With that said, I can vouch for their refurbished products being just as good as new.

Plus, I'm actually comtemplating ordering the refurbished 17-inch Intel Core Duo that I've been seeing on the site for the past couple of weeks or so. Yet, I'll probably end up waiting a while. I only want it because everyone one else is getting one. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my p'book is refurb'd and it has treated me just fine. in the refurb site it basically says that you are buying a new computer because they either fix what is wrong and make sure it is a 'like new' yet completely operational computer.....or there can be nothing wrong. some computers go into the refurb store if they are purchased, opened and then returned so you can technically have the chance of getting a new one.

buying refurb has this stigma attached to it sometimes but it should work out well if that is what your price range is.

-chris

OP
A

airline1

I bought a 1.67 refurb Pbook from the UK apple store. No problems, no regrets. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.53, 4Gigs Ram, 320 HD, Snow Leopard, 500 Gig Time Capsule, 32 Gig White 3GS
yeah go for it, I bought 2 ibooks a 20" iMac and a powerbook all refurb and they are all great!

OP
M

MarteDVX

wow great! thanks guys, i feel my confidence in it just went up a lot. I am definately buying a refurbished pb. I was going to get a Macbook Pro, but I want to learn macs before I go venturing into the new processors and perhaps problems i may not understand. Thanks for your time guys.

-Zach

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I read somewhere that almost 100% of electronics will fail within the first three months if they are going to fail at all. The warranty with the refurbs is just like a new one so you are safe if anything happens. The only downside to buying a refurb is if it bugs you that it has this stigma attached to it. If you don't care about that then go for it.

OP
M

MarteDVX

Yea, I have never bought a refurbished anything before so this will be a first. If it will just be like new, then I see nothing wrong with getting a refurb powerbook. Especially having a 1 year warranty on it, can't beat that. If it looks / runs new, then why not. I'm sure I'll get over the fact that its not Brand Spankin' New!

OP
M

MarteDVX

Hey, also if anyone can answer this that would be awesome. On Apple's site, there is the refurbished section and it has under Powerbook G4 15", 2 of them. Theres one for $1549, and $1599. I'm getting the $1599 one soon, but I am scared, when it shows those 2, does it mean that those are the only 2 they have or do they have a bunch but just listing the 2 types?? Thanks if you can answer this! I can't wait to buy it, almost have enough money saved, I'm at $1100, need another paycheck and I'm there. I don't want to miss out on this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
the more expensive one is a newer model, and it has updated graphics. There are not 2 left, just 2 different models.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
MacAttack is right on the graphics part. The $1549 is the 1.67ghz model with DDR ram, a screen resolution of 1280x854, and 64mb graphics chipset. The $1599 has a higher resolution screen, 1440x960, 128mb graphics chipset, and takes the faster DDR2 memory and was the last available version of the 15" Powerbook. There is no reason not to spend $50 more and get the upgrades.

OP
M

MarteDVX

Yea thats what I was thinking. Thanks for the info guys, u helped me out a lot. I CAN'T WAIT! I am so excited to switch over to Mac. I love these forums, you guys are so helpful. Thanks again and can't wait to post again with my new PB! :yinyang: *edit* or should I say "refurbished"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.