What email software is best to use with my IMAC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
Is the one that comes with the computer or do everyone use something else? I only used Outlook Express when I was working in windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Apple's Mail App comes with every Mac. It's a decent program and I switched from Entourage a few years back with no regrets.

M

MJGUK

I personally really like Mail (as in Mail.app).
Nice GUI, really functional, easy to use and very stable.

No real complaints as of yet....
My only minor/tiny issue would be in ref to archiving, as Mail doesn't seem to offer a real/genuine built in archiving ability.
But that is np as Mail Steward does an excellent job of working with Mail.app and getting this job done for me, very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i use mail with my .mac account - but it doesnt support pop3 because my lycos email account doesnt work.

annoying! - but great for .mac accounts

Reaction score
I like Entourage -- more features for email, has your addresses, calendar, notes, etc., all in one place. Sync's with .Mac and Apple's native address book, and with Word. Came with MS Office (student/teacher edition) which I needed for Word, Excel and Powerpoint anyway.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
The reason I asked is because I get mail that is to my account but, the beginning name
is not me...this is how it would come to me:

Notmyname<myname@myaddress>

I don't know how to set the rules to this one cause it has my email address inside the less than greater than symbols. Anyone else have this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
christm said:
i use mail with my .mac account - but it doesnt support pop3 because my lycos email account doesnt work.

annoying! - but great for .mac accounts

Un, wrong. I currently have 4 POP3 e-mail accounts running on Mail just fine....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dooglla said:
The reason I asked is because I get mail that is to my account but, the beginning name
is not me...this is how it would come to me:

Notmyname<myname@myaddress>

I don't know how to set the rules to this one cause it has my email address inside the less than greater than symbols. Anyone else have this problem?

When you set the rule, it will ask you for the name of the account, which would be the NOTMYNAME part. It will then ask you for the e-mail address, which would be the MYNAME@MYADDRESS part. You don't have to include the < or >.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
baggss said:
When you set the rule, it will ask you for the name of the account, which would be the NOTMYNAME part. It will then ask you for the e-mail address, which would be the MYNAME@MYADDRESS part. You don't have to include the < or >.

I don't think you understood me on this one. The e-mail come to me like this:

Chester<[email protected]>

When I go to set the rules it only see my real address which is [email protected] and not the fake name which is Chester that have it sent to. Note: [email protected] is not my real address...it is an example.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Dooglla said:
I don't think you understood me on this one. The e-mail come to me like this:

Chester<[email protected]>
An email address is made up of a name and a domain, that is it.

myname@mydomain

How it displays in your program is inconsequential. What you are seeing is an alias and not the email address.

Alias<myname@mydomain>

Therefore, when you are doing anything to your email, like trying to set rules or whatnot, it will only deal with your email address and not any alias associated with it.

If the alias is not what you think it should be, you can change it by going to
Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Information
In the "Full Name" field, just put whatever the Alias should be.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I have a POP3 email account working fine in Mail.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have 4 Email address's that I check in Mail. All work great and they are all POP. I also on one of my Macs check email on an IMAP account. Works great and one of the nicest with IMAP that I have ever used.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
sorry another one to add a fully working pop3 account

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
I like Entourage too, I just wish there were add ons like PlanPlus for Outlook.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
D3v1L80Y said:
An email address is made up of a name and a domain, that is it.

myname@mydomain

How it displays in your program is inconsequential. What you are seeing is an alias and not the email address.

Alias<myname@mydomain>

Therefore, when you are doing anything to your email, like trying to set rules or whatnot, it will only deal with your email address and not any alias associated with it.

If the alias is not what you think it should be, you can change it by going to
Mail>Preferences>Accounts>Account Information
In the "Full Name" field, just put whatever the Alias should be.

That looks like it worked...everything goes into the trash now that doesn't have my full name. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4 12in 1gig RAM + 24in Imac 2.16 2.5 gig RAM Leopard
Sorry to sound stupid but how would i set up a gmail or hotmail account with mail.app? i have no idea what type of emails they are? (pop etc.)
thanx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1st gen MacBook Pro - 15", 2.16GHz, 1G RAM, 100G HD
Hey everyone, this is my first post on these forums. I'll be investing in a MacBook Pro in the near future :) Just need to get the finances up. I'm new to Mac and currently on my main XP machine I use Mozilla Thunderbird for emails. How does this compare on Mac to other email programs, and would it be possible to transfer all my settings and emails from XP to Mac? Cheers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thunderbird is an Excellent Email program. It's avalible on OSX so you can continue using it if you desire. OSX comes with Mail, a very simple yet powerfull Email client. I am not sure if you can transfer everything from Thunderbird to Mail or not, but I am sure someone else here knows. Just wanted to let you know you can use the OSX version of Thunderbird if you wish.

Welcome aboard to Mac Forums!!

...Dennis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.