eMac Ram help

J

JamieB

HI, first post.

My current ram is a DDR SDRAM PC2700U-25330 according to my profiler, does this mean I can use a DDR PC2700 Ram?

The reason I ask is that my eMac has been spontaneously freezing for now apparent reason and 2 people have told me that my ram could be faulty and so far I've tried everything else to fix it but nothing has worked. For example I have tryed to reset the ram, I have done a clean install of OSX and then I wiped the HD and installed everything from scratch yet its still happening.

If this helps, when I try to play a game or even when in firefox or msn, the application will start breaking up, there will be like little flashes all over it before it crashes. Its hard to explain. Other times though I will just be like closing a window or moving my mouse through the dock and it will suddenly freeze.

Any help is much appriciated.

P.S. This http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/partspecs.Asp?IMODULE=CT6464Z335 is the Ram I was planning on getting for my eMac G4 1.25ghz. Will it working?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Yes, it means that you have PC2700 RAM, which is the required memory for the 1.25GHz eMac.

The RAMs in your link are the right type, just don't buy those with the metall shielding around...

OP
J

JamieB

Ok great, thanks. Also does my problem sound like it needs its ram replaced?

OP
B

Badger

It sounds like the same problems I had when both RAM modules went bad in my G3 iMac. Have you tried the Hardware Test CD?

OP
B

Badger

If your eMac came with a DVD drive it will be on the Install/Restore DVD, instead of a separate CD. Bad RAM is difficult to diagnose and may not show up in tests. But the hardware test will help eliminate other possibilities. One of those other possibilities is that some eMac owners are reporting problems with failing logic or video boards because of defective capacitors. This same problem has plagued certain models of iMacs and Apple eventually issued a service order to cover it. This link has some user experiences: http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/emac/topic4116.html.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.