• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Sales Tax on iTunes downloads....

Reaction score
Article on 'Applematters', I believe indicated alot of States are jumping on music downloads for taxes. iTunes is now over 1 billion songs and they want piece of the pie. It's interesting in my State because downloaded software is not taxable but the same software purchased on CD-ROM and delivered to you is taxable.

I'm wondering if this would apply to an iTune song - after all, it is Apple's argument in their court case with the Beatles that downloaded music files are actually "digital content". I guess it could be argued that this is 'software' on that basis and therefore non-taxable for State sales tax purposes.

Any opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can't avoid death or taxes.

B

Badger

Many states (and provinces) tax sales of goods delivered from out of its territory. For them, a download is just another form of merchandise. If they can find a practical way of assessing and collecting the $$ they'll do it. On the other hand, rumors/stories of states planning to tax e-mail have been around for years with no implementation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
The government loses Billions of dollars a year to the black market. It has gotten even worse since the boom in internet commerce. Legally, if I purchase something from lets say, California, and have it shipped to me in Kentucky, I should go down the the sales tax office and fill out a form on my purchase, then write a check to the state government paying them the rightful taxes. Now how many times have I done that? You also see places like Dell only charging sales tax to certain states because they have physical retail locations in place already.

Reaction score
you have to look at your particular state's sales tax to see whether "intangibles" are taxable. Downloaded sound recordings or software are almost certainly an "intangible" under the law -- the CD you buy at store is a tangible item. For many states, trying to tax downloaded music or software is going to open up a big can of worms because of this notion of "intangibles" tax (which introduces the concept of taxing stock and other goodies).

There was a US Supreme Court case addressing an aspect of this in North Carolina: Intangibles Tax Case

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.