pc geek, mac dummy needs help

G

geekgurl77

hi folks, well i just brought home a new powerbook g4 and while i'm a pc geek (network administrator) i'm a total mac dummy. i'm LOST!!! i'm almost done with my mcse (microsoft certified systems engineer) and would some day like to get a similar certification for apple. so, i decided that since i don't get to work on macs at work, i'd have to get one at home and gain some experience. anyway, if any power users can help, i've listed below some of the things that are baffling me right off the bat:

- i'm trying to get my linksys befsr41 router to work with the mac, found an article with instructions but they're not working for me. link is posted below. i think i'm supposed to rename the exe file to a zip file and then use stuff-it to run it but it's not working.
http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/tftpinst.html#linksys
- i'm used to doing a "tap tap" to select something, or put my cursor somewhere, can't seem to do that now
- how do get my "right click" options?
- is there such a thing as ctrl+alt+del for mac? haven't needed it yet, just want to know
- how do i set the amount of minutes outlook express should wait before polling the server for new mail
- how do you uninstall applications, is there something like add/remove programs?
- is there such a thing as a complete programs menu? i see this colorful menu at the bottom of my screen, but it doesn't show everything (i would also like to know how to customize it)
- anybody have a good reference for keyboard shortcuts. i'm a shortcut junkie but not all of my known pc shortcuts are working on here?
- what's the best anti-virus software for mac?
- what are some of the better newsgroups (for use in outlook express) for newbies and aspiring power users?
- is there such a thing as a registry, and if so, how do i use it?
- is there a command line utility?
- is there such a thing as safe mode?
- what's the best way to transfer all my files from my pc (several gigs worth)?
- how do i transfer or import my outlook express files from my pc?
- what's a good book for mac newbies, with useful power user tips?

well, that's about it for now! i'm totally overwhelmed, have to go study microsoft network infrastructure, and i'm wondering if i made a big mistake. i think it's just fear of the unknown. someone tell me i wasn't crazy for doing this. thanks folks in advance for whatever help and advice you are able to offer. i look forward to your responses

OP
S

silentraven

- i'm trying to get my linksys befsr41 router to work with the mac, found an article with instructions but they're not working for me. link is posted below. i think i'm supposed to rename the exe file to a zip file and then use stuff-it to run it but it's not working.
it worked fine for me, so i dont know
- i'm used to doing a "tap tap" to select something, or put my cursor somewhere, can't seem to do that now
i dont get the question
Ctrl+Click...or get a 2 button mouse
- is there such a thing as ctrl+alt+del for mac? haven't needed it yet, just want to know
Apple+Option+Esc
- how do i set the amount of minutes outlook express should wait before polling the server for new mail
dont know
- how do you uninstall applications, is there something like add/remove programs?
just delete them. some might have prefrence files left over. there are uninstall programs out there
- is there such a thing as a complete programs menu? i see this colorful menu at the bottom of my screen, but it doesn't show everything (i would also like to know how to customize it)
go to your HD and go to Applications..you can customize by dragging in things an removing them by dragging out
- anybody have a good reference for keyboard shortcuts. i'm a shortcut junkie but not all of my known pc shortcuts are working on here?
PC shortcuts are the same except for CTRL you use the Apple key
dont know...but Macs really dont have viruses
- what are some of the better newsgroups (for use in outlook express) for newbies and aspiring power users?
no clue
there is no registry
terminal
i would like that answered too (i am a recent switcher...but have had a lot of experiance with Macs...just never got into too many details
i'd say network
i dont use outlook on Mac
dont know of any books...but these forums help out a lot

hope i answered some stuff. If i was wrong, someone correct me.

OP
G

geekgurl77

router - well how'd you do it? did you set up your mac as the main computer? what did you install?
"tap tap" - i was talking about the mousepad but i figured it out
shorcuts - still, some of them don't work. how do i undo (ctrl+z), how do i jump to the beginning of a line or a paragraph

thanks silent raven. can anybody else fill in the other answers? t.i.a.

OP
S

silentraven

geekgurl77 said:
router - well how'd you do it? did you set up your mac as the main computer? what did you install?
"tap tap" - i was talking about the mousepad but i figured it out
shorcuts - still, some of them don't work. how do i undo (ctrl+z), how do i jump to the beginning of a line or a paragraph

thanks silent raven. can anybody else fill in the other answers? t.i.a.

well make sure you network settings are setup correctly. For me, it just worked when i plugged in the RJ45 cable.
as far as undo...Apple+Z
and i havent figured out how to jump the beginning either...but in the mean time..i just select all (Apple+A) and hit the left arrow button. and that gets me to the beginning. I would also like that question answered.

OP
S

StarManta

Just adding to the previous posts....

it worked fine for me, so i dont know
try resetting your router settings... the mac shouldn't have any problems with it.

dont know
Get Mozilla Thunderbird :)

PC shortcuts are the same except for CTRL you use the Apple key
I think he's talking more about OS shortcuts, like command-M to minimize and stuff.
http://www.google.com/search?q="option-command-eject"&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
The first one.... google'd so that you can have it in html or pdf.

terminal
....which can be found in Macintosh HD:Applications:Utilities

i'd say network
Yep. Airport works great, if you have a wifi card in your PC.

i dont use outlook on Mac
dunno, Google it.

Command-Left generally goes to the beginning of the line. :)

OP
G

geekgurl77

wireless/wired router?

silentraven said:
well make sure you network settings are setup correctly. For me, it just worked when i plugged in the RJ45 cable.

got the router to work this morning. had to shut everything down and unplug everything. guess the light of day made me realize to check the basic and obvious instead of assuming it was some unfair thing that the mac was doing to me! probably going to get a wireless router soon anyway. does anybody recommend a good wireless router that can support wired as well (at least 2 or 3 wired pcs and 1 wireless mac?) or is there something i could hook up to my existing router?

OP
M

mog538

Netgear make a great wireless router I think the model number is something like WG624. I have two PC's with cat 5 cables and a USB wireless adapter in my mac. Easy to set up, took me like 5 mins and I haven't set up a network since Windows 3.11 !!

OP
S

shanx

geekgurl77 said:
hi folks, well i just brought home a new powerbook g4 and while i'm a pc geek (network administrator) i'm a total mac dummy. i'm LOST!!! i'm almost done with my mcse (microsoft certified systems engineer) and would some day like to get a similar certification for apple. so, i decided that since i don't get to work on macs at work, i'd have to get one at home and gain some experience. anyway, if any power users can help, i've listed below some of the things that are baffling me right off the bat:

http://www.mactechnologies.com/pages/tftpinst.html#linksys

well, that's about it for now! i'm totally overwhelmed, have to go study microsoft network infrastructure, and i'm wondering if i made a big mistake. i think it's just fear of the unknown. someone tell me i wasn't crazy for doing this. thanks folks in advance for whatever help and advice you are able to offer. i look forward to your responses

Hi there, welcome to the mac universe! Most of the stuff you asked i haven't heard of using a mac, like the safe mode, so i cant help you there, but the book you should surely pick up is Robin Williams' "the little Mac OS X book". Great read, and there are a lot others on individual application and utility. And of course, Ctrl + click is the contextual menu. Use mail for mail. If you want your applications in the dock- the thingy at the bottom, Open your applications folder and just drag whatever you want there. If you change your mind pull it outside the dock and it will go up in smoke. have fun

OP
S

shadov

These Unix keyboard shortcuts seem to work everywhere in OS X:
ctrl + a = goto beginning of line
ctrl + e = goto end of line
ctrl + k = cut text between cursor and end of line
ctrl + y = paste
Note that these commands seem to use different clipboard than Apple + x/c/v. If you cut with ctrl + k you'll have to use ctrl + y to paste. Apple + v wont work.

OP
S

shadov

There is no registry, but you can find some interesting files in /etc . Files that start with 'rc' are usually run during boot.

OP
S

StarManta

My friend just got a Linksys 4-port router + 802.11b router and a wi-fi PC Card for $110 at Micro Center... but then, that might have been a clearance price, as it was the day after xmas. (The same day I got an optical mouse for $10....)

OP
S

StarManta

AHA! Found this while browsing a certain other Mac forum....

OK, seriously, have you tried booting up while holding down both shift keys. This is similar to windows "safe mode" (I haven't tried it in Panther, but Jag. and below, yes). This should run just the base OS and if Panther works, then you have a bad driver, etc. installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.