• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

digital slr or intel imac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
hey there,

i am into photography and would like a dslr camera a canon 350d maybe.

but i am also in love with my 12" ibook g4 (upgraded specs).

i would like to get an imac but i would like to get a dslr as well!.

so which one should i go with?

i would like a desktop mac thats more power than my ibook g4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Come on, your British!

Get a loan a get both, obviously!

;)

Seriously though, I'd go for the iMac, simply because it's something you'd most likely enjoy every day....

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol, sorry i cant, i am a student!

thanks for the tip

M

MJGUK

Yeha go for the iMac.
I mean depending on how heavily you are in to your photography, you're likely to get more use out of the iMac on a day to day basis......Plus, they rock :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
get the camera so you can start shooting pictures...yes putting them on your computer might be a little slow and editing them as well but you'd be able to upgrade your computer later and then move all your stuff over.

if you get the imac first and the camera second you wont have any pictures taken
-chris

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks for your replies - keep them coming as i need an overal opinion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I was in the same dilemma, and ended up just going with a very nice point and shoot for the time being, and using the rest of the money for a new desktop. The only thing that is holding me off from getting a DSLR at this point is all the extras you will need. I am a student as well and have to manage my cash flow. I started adding up the costs of the lenses I wanted, memory cards, filters, flash, etc. and it suddenly became a chunk of change. It's your choice, but like my grandmother always says, "When in doubt don't do anything at all."

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thankyou. i have until beggining of august so we'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
DSLR for me, you can atleast go and get creative with the camera.

Ive got the 350d and a 1Ghz PB with 768Mb of ram now while managing the raw files can be slow its not unbearable. Plus its not like you have an old aging machine now is it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
I would say camera. You already have a mac to work with... but not an SLR. WIth the Imac, you will not have anything to do that you cant alread do.....
-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
Get the Camera...the ibook can handle pictures fine....besides the Camera is way more fun.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I am going to agree with the last 3 or 4 folks here... get the camera.
There is no reason why your iBook wouldn't be able to handle what you plan on doing.
Heck, I used to run Garageband on a 400Mhz G3 iMac. Was it as fast as it is on my PowerBook?... of course not. Still it was able to handle it just fine. And if I could do that, then there is no reason a G4 iBook wouldn't work for you.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
Also if you get a 350D you can shoot either in RAW or JPEG format. If you are only going to be doing small prints and web use then I would suggest that you shoot JPEG. That way the computer will handle the files easier. Less memory hungry.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thankyou - i think i will go with the dslr camera.

how do you like your 350d?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love it! some people say that it feels too small compared to the others in the range and the battery grip offers a little something to help that personally i like the fact that its not as big as the rest of the range and its not like i have small hands either.

The only thing i dont like about it is that i could get so carried away with buying stuff for it! Only other thing to complain about is not having enough time to go out and be creative with it. Seriously though the only complaint i have personally with it is that the bundled software is a total waste of time now for OSX and doesnt do half the stuff it claims to.

Example shooting in RAW and want to stitch two shot togeather, i thought fine ill use the supplied photo stitch but it only works with tiff and jpeg's. Now I have CS2 its not a problem but would have been nice to be able to use that rather than having to use PS all the time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
inflexion said:
I love it! some people say that it feels too small compared to the others in the range and the battery grip offers a little something to help that personally i like the fact that its not as big as the rest of the range and its not like i have small hands either.

The only thing i dont like about it is that i could get so carried away with buying stuff for it!

Agree 100% with this post... I don't know why everybody talks about the 350D's size as a negative... to me it is just different. And I have been told I have freakishly large hands so...

Yes, the downside to photography is your wallet will not stop feeling the pain after your first purchase. There is always another lens or accessory you HAVE to have.

But since you have a Mac already, I'd get the camera... The sooner you start playing with it the better you'll get even though you won't have the most powerful machine to edit the photos with.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what is the speed like on the dslr cameras?

is it fast or like the standard digital camera?

thanks

chris tm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Well, if the iBook is slowing you down in productivity than I, personnaly, would get the iMac fiirst. If your iBook can last you several more months, then you might as well get the camera, then later go go get the new iMac.

OP
christm
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what about the speed of dslr cameras?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
in terms of what though?

Startup time is and you can set the shutter speed to be fast but apart from that i dont really know what context you mean

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.