Mail only receives messages when opened

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Mail 2.07 on OSX, about a week or so now I only receive messages once...when opening the application. I do not receive any new mail again unless I close the app and reopen -or- take the accounts off line and then online again.

Yes, the accounts are set up correctly.
Yes, they are set to automatically get mail every 5 min
Yes, I checked in the connection doctor and it shows fine

I even brought the computer to the Genius Bar, they were stumped. I see others at mac.com support site discussions having similar problems but no solutions have been found.

Anyone here with ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Well it would be tedious, and it might not work, but it is worth a shot. Save all your mail (make a copy of everything on your Hard Drive). Then take off your account from Mail. Start from scratch. Open Mail and register again. After you have all your prefferences done, move all your mail back.

Now this is only an idea that I have it might not work at all, and you might loose your Inbox. Try looking for some more answers before trying this. I would hate to have been the one person that lost your mail.

Try Google. Type in "Mac Mail not refreshing Inbox" someone should have the answer. If you can't find anything on Google then I would call up Apple Care and see if they can help.

Hope everything works out!

Reaction score
Well if you are able to receive messages when you first open the account or take the accounts offline/online---then I would suggest uninstalling Mail and installing it back. Because we know that you do not have any errors as far as setup goes to receive mail since you can receive them when you first open the account.

So I would suggest uninstalling, reinstall, and start from scratch. Plus keep in mind that your mail server you are using...may simply just take time to let your computer know...there is "new" mail out there.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Thanks for the replies.

dimagex20, I did exactly what you suggested. After creating new email accounts in the mail application it behaved exactly the same.

Youthpastor, as a last resort I will have to do that...

My next plan is to set up a new user and email using one of my wifes email accounts to see if it behaves in the same manner. Will do that tonight, if it occurs then I think we can come to the conclusion it is definately the application and not a setting somewhere in my user account.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Have you tried a permissions repair? It could also just be your mail provider, though that is not the most likely issue.
I would try repairing permissions, and then go from there.

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks D3v1lb0y,
That is one of the things the Genius did. He booted the powermac from a portable drive with OSX and ran the disk utilities checking for any problems and also repaired permissions.

perhaps I should use Entourage :p

OP
Odin_aa
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I did nothing to it. Changed no settings, changed nothing what so ever. Today it started working properly again...

Go figure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Haha, that's life for ya.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.