Macbook Pro and Airport

B

Baseballplaya12

Hey Im new here and I recently got a macbook pro to replace my ibook g4.. i love everything about it no overheating no hissing, I've only had one problem. I've been having some major Airport issues since switching over my airport in my macbook will figit from having a good connection to a terrible one very often.. i went to the apple store and they said they have seen a lot of people who have the same problem, but they said they were working on something sowftware related... do you guys know any possible fixes for this thanks alot.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Yes, this is one of those glitches that is found in about 1-3% of the Intel Line of Apple computers. If you call Apple Care they should be able to fix it for free, since it is a new product and this issue is fairly common.

OP
B

Baseballplaya12

am i going to have to take it in or is it just a software issue that can be fixed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Well I am sure that it is a HardWare issue so you will probably have to mail it in under your Apple Care. They would probably just replace your whole computer so that you are back on the raod faster. I would be surprised if it was a software issue. Before you call though you might as well go to the software update, and download the update. It is going to be a wopping 100 MB, for the Intel. The update should be going from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6

If the update doesn't work, and you have to send it in, then try to back up the files you don't want to loose on a external Hard Drive.

OP
N

No1nfoProvided

Hey,
My problem is similar but not quite the same. When I am connected via Airport, my connection is mostly weak. However, it does sometimes rise and drop etc. It appears to me that Airport doesn't pick up connections very well. Windows laptops seem to connect a lot faster and simplier as well as with less problems and more strength than with Airport. I'm not really sure, but thats my take on it. Also, when I turn on my MBP, it asks me if I want to connect to an unprotected wireless network since it did not find a secure one. If I click yes, it doesn't do anything. When I try to connecting to the same network by the drop menu, it says there's an error when trying to connect. It does the same when I manually type in the name, etc of the wireless server. I dont think its a hardware issue, but a software issue.

If you called Apple, could you please tell me what they told you, etc, and if you really did need to send it in?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.16 Ghz, 1 GB RAM, 100 GB HD
Related problem

I just got my MBP 3 weeks ago and have had this problem ever since. At my office, it detects the wireless network but has problem connecting. At times it says "connected" but its actually the Internet doesn't work.

While at home I have another problem. It NEVER connects to the wireless, I have to manually select. Then after about every 15 mins, it drops the connection. I have to reconnect. Wondering if I should call Apple next week. What do you think?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.