• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMac 27/5K + Sony receiver HDMI pass through settings?

Reaction score
Hi!

I have an iMac 27/5K running El Capitan connected to a Sony STR-DN1040 receiver and to a Samsung Big-Screen TV via HDMI
to watch HD movies and listen to music and although I achieved very good Video & Audio but I´m not sure about the correct iMac HDMI settings.

Videos and audio files are playing through VLC player, but El Capitan Audio MIDI setup (via Audio MIDI Setup app in Applications) has several options,
and I’m trying to find out what are the correct settings so the HDMI signals just pass through as they are to allow the Sony receiver to be the only device
decoding the different Video and Audio formats, Dolby, DTS, etc.

The iMac MIDI Output setup offers the following options:

Format: 32000 to 1920000 HZ with 2ch – 16-bit integer up to 8ch – 24-bit integer and Encoded Digital Audio.

For now, I´m using 48000 HZ / 2ch – 16-bit integer and the Sony receiver is decoding several Dolby formats and also DTS, but I´m not sure if this is
the correct HDMI setting as I don’t want the iMac to be oversampling the signal nor the Sony receiver not to have the correct whole HDMI signal without limitations.

I´ll appreciate any help regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance.
SonyMac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.