Microsoft Word has taken over!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

Microsoft Word has suddenly taken over all of my documents. I prefer Open Office, and don't want to use Word, but want to keep it around. I've searched through Preferences on both, and can't find a way to make Open Office my default choice. Even if I open a document with OO, the next time I open it, Word takes over again. Is there a solution other than deleting Word? This is a serious nuisance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved here to the correct forum.

Select a document, right click on it, select open with, choose Open Office and also place a check in the box below that says "Always Open With". That will change the default back to OO from Word.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Select a document, right click on it, select open with, choose Open Office and also place a check in the box below that says "Always Open With". That will change the default back to OO from Word.

Yes, but having to do that to every document is quite tedious. Word has been over-riding that anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
You only have to do that once, not for every document. :)

Cheers ... McBie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You only need to do that one time to any one document and it will take effect for all documents. Be sure to do it both for *.doc and *.docx.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How are you saving these files? Default format for Word...or default format for OO?

- Nick

M

MacInWin

If you insert "Get Info" right after "right click on it" then you'll get an option to change the application for the document and there will be a box to check to Change All.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All of you have excellent suggestions for which I thank you. I have carefully tried all of the above, but Word is overriding all of them. I have used OO for years, and save all of my docs in OO; I only use Word for demo purposes when I teach. This problem started with the Word update that occurred today. Am going to try restarting my MBA one more time...

Reaction score
All of you have excellent suggestions for which I thank you. I have carefully tried all of the above, but Word is overriding all of them. I have used OO for years, and save all of my docs in OO; I only use Word for demo purposes when I teach. This problem started with the Word update that occurred today. Am going to try restarting my MBA one more time...

In the extremely rare instances where the Get Info method hasn't worked to assign a certain file type to a particular application, this free utility has done the job:

RCDefaultApp (free)
http://www.rubicode.com/Software/RCDefaultApp/

Randy B. Singer *• *Attorney at Law*
Mac OS X Routine Maintenance* •**http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Randy! After the third restart some of the docs open in OO, and this can take care of the rest.

Rick22

Reaction score

I was not given that option; 1-7-23

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome, Rick22, to the forum.

Your post was pretty cryptic. Can you give us a bit more information? Like, what Mac, what version of macOS, what did you do that you had no option and what does the 1-7-23 have to do with it? What option are you talking about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The red banner above your post will identify the date posted. No need to repeat that. (Look at the post above yours.)

You are correct that Always Open With does not appear when you right click on a highlighted document. But, if you highlight a document and choose Get Info, there will be an Open With pane in that window. Expand that, choose the application (even if already shown) and then the Change All button will become active.

It might be the case that back in 2016 when that advice was given, Always Open With was an option after a right click.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.