• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Safari v.64 Making the Rounds

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Source: MacRumors.com

Safari v62 brought us Tabs, and this new version (v64) appears to provide increased stability, improved tab appearance, loading status for tabs, and enhanced autocomplete.

Meanwhile, David Hyatt posted his perspective on Tabs in browsers as well as some implementation issues.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just a picture, but I'm not sure where it's from ;)

Feel free to use this if you want to post screenshots to other forums :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Hmm, I don't like tabs, but apple always has a way of making something I hate, into something I love. :lol:

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have never used tabbs. But I have read, there is a large group that do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
Originally posted by schweb@Mar 7 2003, 07:42 AM
Just a picture, but I'm not sure where it's from ;)
its not such a big deal to have developer builds of software that will be free to the public. if anything reporting bugs would help them with their beta project

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by MacAddikt@Mar 7 2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by schweb@Mar 7 2003, 07:42 AM
Just a picture,  but I'm not sure where it's from ;)
its not such a big deal to have developer builds of software that will be free to the public. if anything reporting bugs would help them with their beta project
I completely agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" iMac 700 MHz G4 640 MB
So hook us up schweb!

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More information from Think Secret:

Apple recently rolled out a new beta release of its Safari web browser, version 64. This comes on the heels of beta v62, which included Safari's first tabbed browsing implementation, as well as the ability to AutoComplete online forms. Neither beta has been released to the public.

In v64, Safari's tabbed browsing feature has received significant enhancements. The Debug menu contains a new "Open New Tabs in Front" option, which is off by default. As a result, when Command-Clicking on a link to open it in a new tab, the tab will load to the side of the current tab, allowing you to continue browsing the originating page without interruption. (Selecting "New Tab" from the File menu always creates a new front-most tab, regardless of how the Debug menu's tab settings have been configured.)

Tabs have also received some minor aesthetic tweaks. When a page is loading in a tab, a progress icon spins until it's done. Tabs in the background are highlighted when the mouse passes over them. There's also a contextual menu with the following options: New Tab, Close Tab, Close Other Tabs, Reload Tab, and Reload All Tabs. This menu is brought up when Control-Clicking on any tab.

If a folder of bookmarks is placed in the Bookmarks Bar, a new "Open in Tabs" option is presented below the list of sites. Selecting this will launch every bookmarked site in that folder, each with its own tab, simultaneously in a single window.

Additionally, performance when working with tabs has been improved noticeably.

In the area of AutoComplete, the Debug menu now has two separate options for this feature: to AutoComplete Forms with information used at pages visited in the past, or to draw on Mac OS X's Address Book.

A

AstralZenith

Originally posted by rman@Mar 7 2003, 10:59 AM
I have never used tabbs. But I have read, there is a large group that do.
I use tabs and love them... once you get them you never go back, they are so convientent

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a copy of v64, maybe I should try them out. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AstralZenith @ Mar 10 2003, 12:48 PM

I use tabs and love them... once you get them you never go back, they are so convientent

I have started using them in netscape and safari. I now understand what all the fuss is about. It does make moving back and forth from different windows easier. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
ugh, its taking me a while to get usta them. sigh* i always use the key command to quickly close the window usually.. but with tabs when u close the window u lose all the sites you were at :huh:

o well, im gettin the hang of it and starting to like it a bit more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
Isn't there a command to close just the tab?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Originally posted by Emrys@Mar 25 2003, 04:31 PM
Isn't there a command to close just the tab?
Sorry, didn't see this earlier. You can close a tab by hitting CMD-W. Yes I know, that keystroke should close the window, but that's not what it does in Safari. There's a huge debate going on over that right now ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.