• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Backpack Suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Mid-2012 / iMac Retina 5K Late-2014
Hi, all.

I have found myself needing to replace a failing SwissGear backpack and am struggling to find something that will fit my needs - hoping someone here has a suggestion.

I need to be able to carry a MacBook Air 13" -and- an iPad Pro 12.9" at the same time. Two separate storage compartments to hold each safely is required. In addition to the tech itself, I need space for the requisite power cords and charging blocks PLUS:

- Area to carry my business cards (and a handful of those that are given to me by customers)
- Place to store my passport
- Compartment to store some medicines that I always have with me on business trips (aspirin, an inhaler, etc.)
- Small stand that I use for charging my watch and phone at night
- Small (two plug) surge suppressor that plugs directly into the wall
- Possible some smaller items I might buy while on a trip (a common item to bring home is a 20oz Hard Rock Cafe glass if I'm in a new city I haven't been to before with a Hard Rock Cafe).

A small pouch that I can toss my money clip, keys, change, and phones into when I go through security at the airport would be great, but not necessary as I can use one of the small zipper pouches on my roller bag.

It would also ideally either be size-constrained in some way or be able to "squish down" to fit under an airline seat as I don't check luggage. So, the backpack becomes my "personal item" and has to go under the seat in front of me.

I'm adverse to the North Face brand. A lifetime warranty would be ideal (Osprey, LL Bean, etc.) to know that the manufacturer / seller stands behind it. I've been looking at Osprey Nebula, but haven't yet determined if it's going to provide the kind of protection I would want for both devices.

Any input on either the Osprey Nebula or brands other than those mentioned above would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would recommend another Swiss Gear. As my travel bag, I carry my MBP and my Work HP laptop everywhere and their backpacks hold up quite well to the abuse of air travel.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How long have you had your current pack and how is it holding up? The one I have is about three years old and the shoulder straps are coming apart at the tops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
About the same amount of time. Average weight when I travel is about 50 pounds or so. Yeah, I carry a lot of stuff...

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yours is holding up well still? If so, maybe this was a fluke and I'll get another.

I ordered one from LL Bean that I'll get tomorrow and I'll see how that one might work out.

Reaction score
Another Swiss Gear would be my recommendation. My MBP and Work HP laptops serve as my travel bags, and their backpack for commuters withstand the rigours of air travel admirably.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@raymondjon

Your response is appreciated, but did you realise that this thread was last posted to almost 6 years ago?:):)

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.