***?!

Reaction score
I saw something today that really bothered me.

I went to CompUSA and went to the Mac section, just for the kicks, and all the intel macs were running Windows XP...all the intel macs...

What the ****?! Macs run OSX first and Windows XP second!
There's no way Apple would ever have them like that in their stores...

WTH?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Hmm... Strange, I haven't seen it on their site. Do you have the link?

OP
V
Reaction score
novicew said:
Hmm... Strange, I haven't seen it on their site. Do you have the link?

oh no, not the website, I went to the actual store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
that's pretty jacked. But I'm sure there will be a solid amount of people who buy a MBP to run XP simply b/c they like the styling of the MBP...that and they may not want to learn OSX. To each their own.

Z

zap2

But when a person buys a MBP becuz it nice looking, at get OS X, what will they do? Well anyone really buying a 2k+ laptop should be able to read the box first

Reaction score
I wonder if that CompUSA is installing xp for free if you but a mac. Also I could see why someone wood buy an iMac to install xp.. it is compact (no cpu((it is in side)). It would be impressed if i walked into my docters office and saw the secritarys using the iMac with xp..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Go around and restart them all in OS X :p that's what I would do

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. Keeping it simple these days.
That is kind of weak. I'm sure it's becoming a selling point for the reps on the floor as well. But Apple pays a ton of money for product placement and displays and probably doesn't appreciate ALL the floor models running XP. I could see having one booted into it to show the possibilities but not all of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Quick Apple SUE THEM!!!! :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Benjamindaines said:
Quick Apple SUE THEM!!!! :p

:spook:

Yes and I would go restart them in OSX also!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I would delete the Windows partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
most people go in to buy xp machines i guess, just another selling point for them to sell a computer that is x amout more expensive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
Wow that is very weird.... maybe apple wanted them to do that because the intel macs running XP is a very big selling point for Apple. Some people need to use XP for buisness

J

Jon

zap2 said:
But when a person buys a MBP becuz it nice looking, at get OS X, what will they do? Well anyone really buying a 2k+ laptop should be able to read the box first

How now that's the only reason why I bought the MacBook Pro. I liked the look. I have always like the clean look of Apple laptops. But am a Windows guy all the way. I went a whole week before I was able to get XP Pro SP2 install disc to load Windows up and I felt so out of whack using OS X. I put a 20GB/60GB
OS X/XP partition and haven't looked back.

Reaction score
Indiana; there's more than just corn here
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67 MHz
Jon said:
How now that's the only reason why I bought the MacBook Pro. I liked the look. I have always like the clean look of Apple laptops. But am a Windows guy all the way. I went a whole week before I was able to get XP Pro SP2 install disc to load Windows up and I felt so out of whack using OS X. I put a 20GB/60GB
OS X/XP partition and haven't looked back.

Hey it's your computer you can do whatever you want.

Don't like OS X though? I had windows since I was a little kid and going into college I decided to try apple. Had to get used to it of course but you should really try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook 2.0, Blackberry Bold (Good Riddance iPhone)
I have gotten to know the Apple rep at the local CompuUSA pretty good and visit with him every time I go in. He is your typical Apple guy, doesn't use windows for anything and probably never will. I was talking to him the day boot camp came out, and he said he was loading it on one machine, and also was installing Parallels software on another. His point of view was that it didn't matter what people used the computers for as long as he was selling more of them. I wouldn't want all the Apple's to be booted into Windows, but I see where this could be a fantastic sales strategy for the Apple Reps. Computer buyer walks in to get a new PC, and doesn't know the first thing about Apple. Then he sees this cool looking computer and walks over to it, but instead of being some OS he has no idea about and walking away, it is simply a stylish Window's PC. He sticks around, Apple rep walks over, they talk about all the new benefits of having this setup, customer sees the light, buys imac, Apple sales go up, and customer is happy. Win win situation for everybody.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Last week I visited my local small Apple Store. Told the dood there I know about the post here on CompUSA and all the Intel Macs in Windows. He pulled out his 2.16Ghz Mac Book Pro and held down Option and booted into XP. Said he has it installed in case a customer is interested it needing XP along with OSX and for the ocasional time when he might need XP compatibility.

It was strange seeing XP on the Mac but it ran great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Just strolled into my local CompUSA and not a single Mac running XP... of course the Apple rep was there so who knows what evil was done in his absence.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.