Google Earth Update Helper

Reaction score
Hi!

A little pop-up has suddenly started appearing on my screen, no matter what application I'm in, and it says:

"Google Earth Update Helper wants to make changes. Type your password to allow this."

Since I don't have "Google Earth" installed on my computer (as best I can tell - I checked the application folder and I did searches for things such as "earth") why would there be an 'update helper' wanting to make changes?

Is it legit?

Thank you so much!!
Diane

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Google Earth is a legitimate application, however, it sounds like you may have some malware acting up. Download the free Malwarebytes application and run it to see if it finds anything. Let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Look in your Login Items in System Preferences > Users & Groups.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you chscag!

I clicked the link and it took me to the Google app store and told me I don't have any devices (it went to a mobile version).

I couldn't find a version for my Mac though; do you by chance have a link that goes to that?

Oh also, in case it matters I'm on OS 10.7.5 (oh lucky me!)... ;)

Thank you again!!
Diane

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you ferrarr! I looked there but there's nothing there except me as the user. Did I look in the wrong place?

Thank you again!!
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
Thank you ferrarr! I looked there but there's nothing there except me as the user. Did I look in the wrong place?

Thank you again!!
Diane

You need to click on the Login Items. You'll find it next to Password. When you click that you'll see a list of apps that boot up automatically on login.

OP
D
Reaction score
Diane try this link for Malwarebytes for Mac. Download and run scan.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Hi Harry! Thank you so much for the link!

Unfortunately the lowest operating system it works on is 10.8 and I've got 10.7.5. As much as I hate Lion (and the *very flawed* late-model 2011 macbook pro that I have) I have to stick with both because of expensive software programs that would have to be upgraded for the higher OS that I can't afford to replace.

Do you guys know by chance if there's something that works on 10.7.5?

Thank you again!
Diane

OP
D
Reaction score
You need to click on the Login Items. You'll find it next to Password. When you click that you'll see a list of apps that boot up automatically on login.

Hi Kevin!

Thank you!

That is actually where I looked, I should have mentioned that, and there's nothing in the Startup Items. Actually Apple had me remove everything from the start-up items during the most recent fiasco with my computer (always the same fiasco, the logic board).

The thing I don't understand is why is Google Earth wanting to update when Google Earth isn't even installed?

Thank you again!!
Diane

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Diane depending on your machine specs, particularly mempory, you can upgrade to El Capitan free of charge via the App Store. Software that runs on Lion generally runs on El Capitan, Microsoft Office etc. And what is the 'very flawed' business you mention?

Any chance you have installed Google Chrome? I used to have it as a backupo browser, but what you have just witnessed is imho typical of Google.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Any chance you have installed Google Chrome? I used to have it as a backupo browser, but what you have just witnessed is imho typical of Google.

Installing Chrome won't cause what she's seeing. She probably at some time in the past may have accidentally clicked on Google Earth maybe to find or get a view of something. She probably needs to use an app like "Find Any File" and do a search for "Google Earth" and delete whatever it turns up. There are lots of places in the System Library where start up items are located.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice find Jake. That's probably what she has going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I have never used nor downloaded Google Earth, only Chrome, and got that updater about Friday last. So I belive it tracks Chrome users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have both Google Earth and Chrome installed and no sign of any updater popup and the only "update helper" of any type I do have is "Acrobat Update Helper" using Find Any File to search.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.