• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

New Blog: Mac Mini saves the day — for a Windows user

Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks Tracey. I didn't know Windows could be run that way. Nice info for those emergency situations like yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I was surprised when I put a drive, from an HP laptop, in my MBP and it booted into Windows 10 and would not allow me to get into Recovery to format it. I had to pull it and format it externally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
It's more of a Windows 10 saves the day, than Mac Mini. The reason this worked is that the Macs nowadays are basically PCs with Apple logo*.

Windows OS on PCs is hardware agnostic, as long as the CPU is Intel or AMD. The OS scans for hardware changes at boot time and downloads and installs drivers if required. In previous versions of Windows it worked just fine with internal drives, but it did not allow booting from removable (USB, eSATA, etc.) media. Windows 10 added the booting from removable media feature.

My Windows 7 rig had a faulty motherboard after three or four years. It did not make sense trying to get the same motherboard, not to mention that it was hard to find one, and might as well updated the CPU and memory. The OS booted up just fine after the hardware upgrade, detected and installed drivers and back in business after couple of reboots. I still have this rig, by now the OS installation is about seven years old.

*-Macs with Intel motherboards and CPUs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note that Tracey mentions that the Windows 10 Enterprise edition can be run from external media:

The temporary setup indicated that it was running under Microsoft’s Windows To Go technology (more info), which I understood only worked with the Enterprise version of Windows.

I don't believe MS allows the standard version of Windows 10 to be booted from external media, although I might be wrong.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Note that Tracey mentions that the Windows 10 Enterprise edition can be run from external media:

I don't believe MS allows the standard version of Windows 10 to be booted from external media, although I might be wrong.....

Actually...

Windows To Go had first became available for Windows 8.0 and later versions. And yes, Microsoft does state that the To Go feature is only available in the Enterprise edition. In reality, there's no software limitation from stopping someone from using any other edition of Windows, including the home edition, for installing the OS on a USB stick.

There's actually no difference in the internal and external drive installation of these Windows versions, it's the same ISO installation source. Hence the reason why Tracy had been able to boot from the formerly internal drive, when it had been connected externally to the Mac Mini. I also doubt that the Windows 10 in question was the Enterprise version. It's not impossible, but I doubt based on the content of the blog...

I am running Windows 8.1 on a removable, 1TB SSD drive in the removable drive bay. It has a USB3 connection as well, albeit I have not tried connecting it to the USB3 port on the same PC, or on my MacBook. Now you gave me some ideas, time permitting it'll be tested with Windows 8.1...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.