Photoshop CS Blending Options window is offscreen...

P

pcjabber

I have an issue with Photoshop CS. When I open an image and go to the "Blending Options" of a layer, the document/image's title bar "grays out" [this part is expected]. However, the "Blending Options" dialog box never comes up.

I've used Quartz Debug, and it shows that the "Blending Options" window's origin is 229/-480, which tells me [I think] that it's offscreen by 480px. Any suggestions on how to get it back, and/or why this would have happened?

This only happens on my iBook -- on my Power Mac, it works flawlessly. I've already reinstalled CS over top of itself (i.e. I haven't trashed the apps and installed CS freshly). I've also trashed the prefs file for Photoshop and restarted Photoshop. That didn't help. It doesn't seem to matter what the image is -- a sample, one that I have, or a new image.

Thanks in advance! [BTW, it's good to be back to the forums -- it's been a while since I've visited.]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Try clicking "Window" on the menu bar of Photoshop and picking a different arrangement. Once you get it onscreen set the windows how you like them and save it as your own window pallette.

OP
P

pcjabber

surfwax95 said:
Try clicking "Window" on the menu bar of Photoshop and picking a different arrangement. Once you get it onscreen set the windows how you like them and save it as your own window pallette.
Thanks for the reply, but that's not my problem ;-). The problem is that the "Blending Options" dialog doesn't show up at all. I've reset my workspace (Window>Arrange>Workspace>Reset) and it still happens. I can't do much in the Window menu while Blending Options is open.

The window is open, but I can't see it. It's too far offscreen (and I'm not sure why). Here's a screenshot of the Quartz Debug window showing the status of the "Blending Options" window (it's the highlighted Photoshop entry).
Picture 2.png

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe if you had another monitor that you could hook up, you could move around the arrangement in Sys. Prefs. and in theory "catch" the missing window.

OP
P

pcjabber

Oh, good idea! I didn't even think of that. Thanks, I'll try that and post back.

OP
P

pcjabber

Thank you so much! I was getting frustrated. Sometimes you just need a third party to say it out loud ;-)

It turns out, it was on top of my screen (where my monitor usually sits while spanning), no doubt from when I had my displays spanning previously -- I'd just forgot to move it back! I just had to reinstall Screen Spanning Doctor (http://macparts.de/ibook/) and I could see the window...

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem! For future reference, you can also fire up AppleScript and use the "get bounds" and "set bounds" commands to set a window's position.

tell app "Photoshop"
get bounds of window 5
set bounds of window 5 to {99, 99, 99, 99}
end tell

You may have to use Quartz Debug to get then name of the windows though, I don't know. Anywho, no problem!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.