FAN ON - Fan off?

Reaction score
My iMac recently got a HD upgrade and RAM. The fan is on all the time now - I don't recall it like that previously. Is there a setting I should check?

Screen Shot 2016-08-08 at 8.42.47 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The iMac HDD's have a thermal sensor that tells the system what their temp is, if during the upgrade you didn't provide a solution for this, then the computer things the HDD is overheating and is running the fan to cool it down. OWC sells a thermal sensor that you can use. Some people have gotten away by shorting a couple of pins, but I would suggest you go the sensor route, if you haven't already..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The thermal sensor sold by OWC as recommended by Ashwin is probably your best bet. However, if you don't want to open up the iMac again, Macs Fan Control is an app designed for iMacs and will do the same thing as the thermal sensor. If that doesn't work for you, you can always order the thermal sensor from OWC.

OP
G
Reaction score
The thermal sensor sold by OWC as recommended by Ashwin is probably your best bet. However, if you don't want to open up the iMac again, Macs Fan Control is an app designed for iMacs and will do the same thing as the thermal sensor. If that doesn't work for you, you can always order the thermal sensor from OWC.

Thanks chscag!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I have the same iMac model but still stock and unfortunately the HDD must be replaced with the same Apple version drive for the thermal sensor to fit and work with these and some other later Mac models. Almost impossible unless done by an authorized Apple Service dealer.

I also use the Macs Fan Control as I prefer to run my Macs cooler than Apple specs the speed. Or the OWC thermal cable as suggested but the Macs Fan Control should work just as well if not better control, and cheaper!!! I like both of those!! ;)

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

PS for the OP: who did the "HD upgrade and RAM" on your iMac, and they should have known about the sensor and fan speed problem if they were a decent Mac tech??? Just saying… :Sleeping:

- Patrick
======

Last edited:
OP
G
Reaction score
I have the same iMac model but still stock and unfortunately the HDD must be replaced with the same Apple version drive for the thermal sensor to fit and work with these and some other later Mac models. Almost impossible unless done by an authorized Apple Service dealer.

I also use the Macs Fan Control as I prefer to run my Macs cooler than Apple specs the speed. Or the OWC thermal cable as suggested but the Macs Fan Control should work just as well if not better control, and cheaper!!! I like both of those!! ;)

http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

PS for the OP: who did the "HD upgrade and RAM" on your iMac, and they should have known about the sensor and fan speed problem if they were a decent Mac tech??? Just saying… :Sleeping:

- Patrick
======

Yea...took it to Best Buy...can't complain for the 1 Day turn around, I'll call her about the fan speed. It's not ridiculous, I just don't quite remember hearing it constantly before. I d/l the app you suggested..but I have no idea what I should be doing with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I d/l the app you suggested..but I have no idea what I should be doing with it.

After downloading "Macs Fan Control" and installing it where you want; Applications or Utilities folder would be normal, and "opening" it with a double click, you'll find it arrives to the right of your menubar.

Click it there and select "Show" and then its Preferences if needed and set it to your wants and needs.

You can see some screenshots at:
http://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control/screenshots

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.