Move without copying?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Still trying to make enough space on my MBA to update to El Cap. Have 7 GB of photos in a folder, and want to move them to flashdrive, but the folder is automatically copied, rather than moved, which takes forever, and then another forever to delete the original folder. Is there a way around this? Much appreciate you experts!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Have a look at this page. Basically it involves holding down the command key then clicking the file(s) and dragging to a new location.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@rainbowcat

I couldn't ever lay claim to be an expert; but here are the "rules":

Cmd + Drag = Moves

Opt + Drag = Copies

Cmd + Opt + Drag = creates an Alias (wherever you drag to)

So, if you're willing to take the risk and have a steady hand hold down Cmd and Drag the Folder to its destination. This should force a Move instead of a Copy.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Well, there is one "set of rules" when you're working with two drives, and another if on the same drive.

Default for another drive is that dragging copies, and command-drag moves. Can't say if it takes less time. Moving large files would be a good way to find out.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@toMACsh

You are, of course, correct. The point I was making is that one can circumvent the default position by applying what I very loosely called, "rules". (Sly mentioned the Cmd + Drag in post #2 as well).

The safest way of moving big files from the Mac to an EHD is using the default copy option because, if something happens to go wrong, the originals are still where they were.

Again I was adding caution when I said to the OP " if you're willing to take the risk and have a steady hand" etc - this is where I've got into difficulties in the past. But if one executes the direct Move option, it's quicker - (I've proven that in my practice in the past) - and obviates the need to delete the originals.

So, I think we are in general agreement. Nowadays, as you were suggesting, I think, I choose the copy or copy/paste option as a safeguard; but it takes longer to finish the job. The OP wanted speed.

Ian

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Slydude - Thank you for that great page! IWT - appreciate the heads up about steady hands, and I do want the speed. Appreciate you both, and thanks for your time.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome. Glad you found it helpful. This is one of the many sets of modifier key commands that I often forget about.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.