• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Netflix offline service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Hippih,

I feel your pain! I have internet at home - sorta. My speeds are so slow that only on a good day, which means my speed is at least 1.7MB, I can use Netflix. I imagine if they offer downloading it will be on something like a DVR and have a time limit of a few days for watching before it erases. I have done this with my Dish service for movies I purchased. I can watch it for usually up to a week then it "disappears." That is an issue Netflix will have to work out to prevent pirating or violation of their license agreements with the movie owners. And yes, I am aware it can happen anyway regardless of what they do but the appearance of preventing pirating will have to be in place first before they can offer this option.

The only issue for me, regardless of what they offer, will still be my horrid internet speed. Now if I could download at work and bring it home that would be sweet! But I don't see that happening unless they create a proprietary device that could be used and transported around to satisfy that copyright issue.

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
A very vague article with no real details. I imagine that there would be limits on any offline download/play, almost like renting the video for 24 hours or something and then having it deemed invalid. It would likely be DRM'ed and all that..

Reaction score
An offline service doesn't mean that you're capturing movies. It means that you're able to watch them offline but still on their plattform :) If you want to capture movies you'll need a third party software. It's not even illegal because you're tape recording. However not everyone considers this to be a legal choice although it actually is until giving away copies to third parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's not even illegal because you're tape recording.

For the majority, I'm going to have to disagree I'm afraid. Firstly 'tape' or the recording media used is irrelevant.

Secondly, depending on the country or state you're in this recording process is often illegal.
For example, if you don't hold the copyright, it's illegal in the UK to make a copy of copyrighted digital materials. Even that you own a legal version and are making a copy for personal use!

By your example recording a film in a cinema would be legal...... it is not.

I'd be very wary of using this tool as described if you wish to stay within the law. It's worth looking a little deeper into the 'Legal Information' link at the bottom of the web page you gave.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you are recording to a device that will erase it because you are only "renting" it, then that is okay. Like when I would "rent" a video through my Dish receiver and then when my "rent" time was up, it disappeared. Now attaching a device to said recorder and creating a second copy on a burnable DVD - that is illegal.

So to be legal, NetFlix will have to come up with a similar system.

Lisa

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have a FIOS setup here at home which includes TV and internet. The video on demand (extra cost per movie) can be watched but not recorded for the same reason given above by Lisa and mrplow. Although we may not agree with the laws here in the US or UK regarding ownership and copyright, we have to abide by them.

@sunshine1234: Please read through our guidelines which you can find in my signature or that of other moderators. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.