Software to dim the blue light emitted from monitors & screens

Reaction score
I am having a very hard time falling asleep at night, and in case it's the blue light emitted from my electronic devices I had to stop using the imac & windows laptop at least 2 hours before bedtime. This is proving very inconvenient so after reading and research I'm looking into installing software that can dim the blue light that's emitted from the screens (that's what affects your circadian rhythm and ability to fall asleep normally et al .)

*** Has anybody ever installed the software and found it works?

*** Can anybody recommend any good program? I've found

f.lux - but some have complained the color is too red
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2056895/review-f-lux-makes-your-computer-usable-at-night.html
https://justgetflux.com/

I've noticed that there's also a sleep shield you can buy - it's a plastic cover that physically adheres to the screen, but I don't want anything like this ..... just software that will alter the colour of the screen ....

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have to say that I've found f.lux to be excellent and, of ourselves, you can adjust the settings in preferences to suit your particular needs. It's a very flexible app.

I have no experience of other apps of this nature, sorry.

Ian

M

MacInWin

f.lux defaults are pretty red, but you can adjust to what you want. The less blue the better the impact of the software is on your body.

OP
D
Reaction score

I'm assuming that it "works" and doesn't disrupt sleep, because you didn't mention that it doesn't. No need to reply, unless I'm assuming incorrectly!! ;)

M

MacInWin

I didn't really detect any difference in actual sleep, but I did have the impact that the less blue screen resulted in me getting sleepier while working in the evenings. I ended up turning it off because it was too much.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It is certainly much kinder to the eyes; noticeably so!

And, as we have all said, with f.lux anyway, you can adjust the settings in its preferences.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.