Massively Irritating Problems.....

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 Retina. Runing 10.11 since 27 July.

I have 2 isuses. the first, my Thunderbolt display works for a time then just goes black on me. I had a powercut one evening and this started happening then. If I unplug the Display and the plug it back in, it works fine. But after maybe 20 to 30 mins its black again. I'm not sure if the dsiplay is broken. Or if something needs to be reset. This was hapening before the upgrade to 10.11 so I suspect its not that. Does anyone have any ideas?

The seocnd issue, I have a X544 Lexmark Printer/scanner/fax etc. It was working fine until the upgrade to 10.11 - or this is how it seems and now, I can't even re-install the drivers from Lexmark site - the ones designated for 10.11. I get the message drivers are installed and the big comforting green tick. But if I go to Image Capture nothing is in the list. And if I go to System Preferences > Priners / Scanners and click + nothing is in the list. Not the drivers I just installed or, any of the existing drivers that came with OS X. I know they are there because of you go to About This Mac and to System Report and click on printers. There's every printer known to man, even existing Lexmark ones. What's going on guys? I can't print, can't scan, nadda!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you add the Printer in System Preferences > Printers and Scanners? You may want to remove the Printer that is in there first. Select the Printer and press the (-). Then add the printer by selecting (+). Confirm it appears in both Print and Scan sections.

How is the Lexmark connected to the MBP? USB or Wi-Fi?

OP
J
Reaction score
Did you add the Printer in System Preferences > Printers and Scanners? You may want to remove the Printer that is in there first. Select the Printer and press the (-). Then add the printer by selecting (+). Confirm it appears in both Print and Scan sections.

How is the Lexmark connected to the MBP? USB or Wi-Fi?

Therein lies my problem - nothing appears in the System Preferences > Printers and Scanners pane. I get the drivers installed tick and then nothing. Something is 'broken' somewhere I'm wondering if a new install, clean install or something will fix it. I'm connected by USB by the way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you checked that the printers firmware has been updated?

I would uninstall all Lexmark software and then download all software and drivers from here. Then install everything again and make sure you go into System Preferences and add the printer using (+).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is the printer connected by USB or over a network? Some printers require you to connect the printer via USB and install the drivers before completing the wireless setup.

OP
J
Reaction score
Have you checked that the printers firmware has been updated?

I would uninstall all Lexmark software and then download all software and drivers from here. Then install everything again and make sure you go into System Preferences and add the printer using (+).

This sounds like a plan! Uninstall everything Lexmark and start again. Including checking the firmware. Baring in mind I have been using this printer / scanner for over 2 years and the problems only started when I upped to 10.11 a few days ago....

OP
J
Reaction score
Is the printer connected by USB or over a network? Some printers require you to connect the printer via USB and install the drivers before completing the wireless setup.

Same really I've been using this rinter via USB as a standalone for over 2 yrs. No problems. Then 10.11 comes along. I wil certainly try the starting from scratch thing. Many thanks for your input.

M

MacInWin

I have one printer that has to be cycled off/on before my Mac recognizes it. Don't know why that one wants that done, but it works pretty much every time.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have one printer that has to be cycled off/on before my Mac recognizes it. Don't know why that one wants that done, but it works pretty much every time.

I hate to use the word 'flawless' in case it invokes any number of catatrophic disasters. But in this case the printer has worked flawlessly from new in the time I have had it. I suspect that the upgrade from 10.10 to 10.11 is at the bottom of it. I may just back everything up and do a clean install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Even a better idea. Everything Lexmark to landfill.

Their software folk know nothing about Macs and tell porkies about compatability. Simply upgrade printing on the box when new systems released.

OP
J
Reaction score
Even a better idea. Everything Lexmark to landfill.

Their software folk know nothing about Macs and tell porkies about compatability. Simply upgrade printing on the box when new systems released.

At the moment, I kind of agree with your sentiment. Although I do have to say that I have had 2/3 years of flawless union of MBP and Lexmark! Not sure what you're saying when you say "Simply upgrade printing on the box when new systems released". I think this may be a language barrier of some sort?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.