• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Mods

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
Ive been wanting to under take some sort of mac modification for some time now. Browsing the internet I found a few mac se/mac mini mods and one mac se/cube mod that was quite impressive. The reason listed for going with the mac se amongst the large selection of classic macs was the ease of converting for a slot loaded disc drive. These mods are very cool and i was considering this type for myself but decided against it since a: its been done(alot) and b:try finding a 8.4'' - 10.4'' lcd that youre not sure will even work.

Then it dawned on me
Bondi Blue iMac a classic right. (and cheap on ebay)
now imagine a bondi imac with a core duo mini and an apple 15' studio display .
should work right, I think so. With plenty of room left for more drives perhaps an eyeTV built in. Id like to keep the imac's built in audio either with soldering magic or the usb harmon kadon speakers which should fit in that area. I would also like to align the ports with the original imac access as with the ram. Move the power switch and infrared to the front of the imac and modify the original tray load bezel to slot load, idealy by keeping the bezel in front of the slot load drive as an automatic door (like some car cd players) naturally this means that the mini will be completly disassembled.
it will be an undertaking and wont probably done till this time next year but i am intent on completing this mod. and will post when i come up with more.

in the mean time who knows how to take apart an apple studio display. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
That'd be a cool project! serpent and I have been working on adding internal drives to the Intel Mini. So far we're up to three - 1 SATA and 2 ATA. We're not sure if the SATA bus supports more than one drive yet. You could improve the iMac by adding a slotload DVD burner (Newegg, $90) and add some power to the Intel Mini (2ghz Core Duo, $400; 2gb OWC ram, $230; Raptor 150 hard drive, $275). Add in your LCD display and voila, powerhouse :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Sounds like a cool project.. Just make sure you add enough fans to the case, so the intel mac mini doesn't burn up :)

Also, Im not sure if the studio display will fit in exactly snug, becuase the imac's CDT screen is not flat, it has a curve in it.. You may have to do a little case sanding to make it work.. Other than that, It really sounds like a cool project... Show us some pics if you start working on it!

OP
Thad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' MacBook 2.2Ghz 1Gb Ram 120Gb ,iMac G3 CRT 600 Mhz 512 Ram 60Gb Broken iBook G4, stolen Nano
If you have a 15' studio connected to your mac does system preferences>displays have the geometry option. My 600 mhz iMac does, my iBook does not. if it does then it cuts out sanding because i can readjust the displays hieght and width.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.