Imac 500mhz and Tiger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 imac 500mhz and 266mhz, ipod mini
Hi I would like to install tiger on my imac 500mhz slot loading indigo with 512 ram. But I only have a cd . But I do have firewire and I was wondering whether or not you can boot from the tiger dvd which is in an external firewire enclosure. I have heard that you can with firewire just not usb 1.1. I know that you can get tiger cd's but I would prefer not to.

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I think in the boot properties there is a way to boot from USB/Firewire if not. For a few bucks online you can get another copy of it on CD not dvd. www.macsolutions.com,
www.powermax.com, I think OWC has it too. like $30 for CD OEM not anything copied or such.

-Justin

A

Alvin Meister

I read that it should boot fine from USB or Firewire. I certainly hope so - I'm upgrading my work's Power G4 to Tiger with an external USB DVD-RW next week.

Why not just try it if you've got the kit together?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just installed Tiger on my G4 Digital Audio 667Mhz using an External Sony Firewire drive. What I did was boot into the old OS and went to System Properties and Startup Disk and selected the External with Tiger in the drive. Did a reboot and it booted from the Firewire drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.