2010 Mac Pro 5,1: Upgrades from Mavericks to El Capitan, 7 to 10 Bootcamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Hi, I'm thinking about finally upgrading OSX and possibly Windows on my Mac Pro 5,1 (2010). I'm concerned about any issues that may pop up as a result of upgrading both. As far as I've read, the 2013 vers is the only official model supported for Windows 10. However, I've also read a few posts of people having it work without any complications, neither in the install process nor running windows.

Here's my plan:
Upgrade from Mavericks to El Capitan, upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, then update Boot Camp to vers 6 (or is it the other way around???)

My main issues are these:
1. When I upgrade windows, will this affect my ability to boot between osx and win? As in, will the install process mess around with my mac's ability to switch between OSs with boot camp?
2. Will I have any problems using Boot Camp 6 on my 2010 model?
3. In case I cannot upgrade to win 10, does El Capitan work equally fine with win 7?

Some important information:
HDD 1: Macintosh HD
HDD 2: Win Bootcamp C:/ Drive
(separate drives for each os)

Much thanks for any help!
Mark

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Before you do any upgrading…make sure your user installed apps are compatible with El Capitan and/or Windows 10.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Make sure you have a good current backup of any drives being updated.

OP
markusaurileus
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz | Mac Pro 5,1 Xeon Quad Core 2.8GHz
Thanks for the reminders. The El Capitan upgrade went fine, and it boots into 7 just fine with the help of boot camp 5. I was confused by the reports by apple that there are no drivers for win 7 any more with boot camp 6.

I'll keep win 7 for now since I'm satisfied with my system right now. No rush for 10.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.