Confused About Windows Issue

C

caveatipss

Can th ecurrent line of new iMacs run OSX and Windows? I am cornfused lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5 1.8GHz, 3GB RAM; Macbook Air
Yes. But you need to buy your own copy of Windows.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
corysw said:
Yes. But you need to buy your own copy of Windows.

and get a copy of bootcamp. And find a really good reason :tusks:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Be aware though, that when you put Windoes on your computer, you just open a massive flood gate of security issues that you need to get used to that were just never there on a Mac.

Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
Be aware though, that when you put Windoes on your computer, you just open a massive flood gate of security issues that you need to get used to that were just never there on a Mac.

Agreed, although it will only hit the windows partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have heard though that if your Windows partition gets a Blue Screen Of Death, that some of your files could get damaged (also on the Mac OS side) and should then be checked out to make sure that nothing is corrupted.

Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
I have heard though that if your Windows partition gets a Blue Screen Of Death, that some of your files could get damaged (also on the Mac OS side) and should then be checked out to make sure that nothing is corrupted.

How would that work? The Mac software is located on another partition within a different file system; thus, running Windows on a Mac will not expose the Mac software to more malware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well quite a few viruses on Windows are known to just completely corrupt the Hard Drive, thus, corrupting your Mac partition.

Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
Well quite a few viruses on Windows are known to just completely corrupt the Hard Drive, thus, corrupting your Mac partition.

Yes, a Windows virus can corrupt a NTFS or FAT hard drive (or more specifically the partition) by essentially messing with the directory, but *how* does it corrupt a file system that is structured completely differently? (not trying to be argumentative here, just curious)

OP
C

caveatipss

What is Bootcamp? I would only use Windows to play Half Life I and II, and Counter Strike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
to eliminate this problem get a second hardrive just for windows

Reaction score
caveatipss said:
What is Bootcamp? I would only use Windows to play Half Life I and II, and Counter Strike

bootcamp is, from what I understand, a BIOS emulator so that windows may run on the EFI intel macs.

Although... I could be mistaking this for the bounty program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro|1.83ghz|1GB|120GB|
If you would like more infomation on Boot Camp, Wikipedia has a topic still in development but still has some infomation.

In a nutshell: Installing Boot Camp Beta onto you Mac computer, you are signing a waiver. When you sign that you agree that if your Mac has any troubles, you cannot sue/agrivate Apple for your troubles.

OP
S

Santos

techound1 said:
Yes, a Windows virus can corrupt a NTFS or FAT hard drive (or more specifically the partition) by essentially messing with the directory, but *how* does it corrupt a file system that is structured completely differently? (not trying to be argumentative here, just curious)
It probably won't effect the Mac partition at all, but you just lost a chunk of your hard drive, and to fix it, you would have to reformat therefore the only possible way it could affect the Mac partition.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
techound1 said:
I'm not sure if any current virus actually does this, but there's no reason it couldn't just tell the hard disk, "Start writing zeros from track 1, sector 1, through track 999999, sector 999999" (Or something like that.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 512 MB Ram 128 vRAM 60GB HD
dimagex20 said:

No, it's not security issues, it's problems with people who don't know how to use the OS. For example, I've had my Windows partition for about four hours, and the first thing I did was install Norton (which I had on CD thank god) and Firefox.

It's like Mac's OS. I guarantee you that a Windows user could screw it up (and my friends have often tried, unfortunately I was right there... idiots lol)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
mr g5 said:
to eliminate this problem get a second hardrive just for windows

As far as I know, Boot camp doesn't work from an external disk. And fitting a second harddrive in an iMac, MacBook Pro or Mac mini (the actual Intel Macs) is quite a challenge... :cool:

Reaction score
BlindingLights said:
I've had my Windows partition for about four hours, and the first thing I did was install Norton (which I had on CD thank god) and Firefox.

Was it a Norton package or just AV? Unless you're already behind a network or harware firewall, get a firewall in there ASAP! PC World ran a test a few months ago and it takes mere minutes for an un-firewalled PC to be hijacked. zonelabs dot com has a freebie - look for zone alarm stand alone firewall. [more for everyone's edification]

Reaction score
technologist said:
I'm not sure if any current virus actually does this, but there's no reason it couldn't just tell the hard disk, "Start writing zeros from track 1, sector 1, through track 999999, sector 999999" (Or something like that.)

Hmmm... but would the PC partition have the permissions to do that on the Mac side?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.