G5 Fate

C

caveatipss

What is Apple going to do with the G5? Phase it out? Would it therefore be a bad idea to buy a new Mac with a G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
The G5 will be phasing out by the end of this year. Therefore investing on a G5 may not be a good ideal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would not agree with that. If a G5 will meet your needs, then get one (I am buying a Quad on Friday). Apple will phase out selling the G5 chip but will support the PPC architecture for some time to come. Now if you want to go with all of the new Windows capabilities etc, then it would likely be a bad idea, but if you just want one to keep working and are not planning on running Windows anyhow, then there is really no harm in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I would agree on baggss on this one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G5
I think it's funny to see so many posts on the forum bashing the G5. Just 4 months ago it was the top of the line processor. That's why I bought one in December.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have an Intel machine. I use one (and Windows) at work all day long. I am happy to come home to my G5. I love it.

My next computer purchase will probably be a G4 12" iBook when the next Intel latops come out. The G4...aaaah! What a crappy processor ;-)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
According to what Jobs stated when the Intel Macs were released was that the G5 will be supported for the next few years. I love my G5 2.1Ghz iMac. It's a very fast machine and gets the job done and will for a long time to come.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
According to one of the many Mac rumors sites Apple has filed for trademark/registration the name "MacPro".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The way I see it, there are four reasons to consider buying a G5 tower now:

1. You need a high end Mac now, not a few months from now.

2. You need Classic compatibility, or can't wait for universal versions of your apps like Photoshop or AfterEffects

3. You don't want to wait for Apple to work the bugs out of a new design (The Intel iMac seems to be fairly trouble free, but the MacBook Pro has been a mess for some early buyers.)

surfwax95 said:
According to one of the many Mac rumors sites Apple has filed for trademark/registration the name "MacPro".

4. You want a machine with a slightly less stupid-sounding name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Jeremy W said:
I think it's funny to see so many posts on the forum bashing the G5. Just 4 months ago it was the top of the line processor. That's why I bought one in December.

Frankly, I'm glad I don't have an Intel machine. I use one (and Windows) at work all day long. I am happy to come home to my G5. I love it.

My next computer purchase will probably be a G4 12" iBook when the next Intel latops come out. The G4...aaaah! What a crappy processor ;-)

I'd disagree with you on that. I still think a G5 is a top-notch processor. Intel just hasn't done 64-bit well so far, and your only real options are AMD and IBM (and with IBM being the only easy choice for running OS X...).

The G4, on the other end, while it serves me well, the bus speeds are such a bottleneck...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
to_tough_to_die said:
The G4, on the other end, while it serves me well, the bus speeds are such a bottleneck...

That is why I am getting a new G5. The bus speed on this souped up Sawtooth G4, and thus overall system responsiveness, is just killing me these days. 5 years ago it was fast, now it is a PITA...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
baggss said:
That is why I am getting a new G5. The bus speed on this souped up Sawtooth G4, and thus overall system responsiveness, is just killing me these days. 5 years ago it was fast, now it is a PITA...

If Apple would just go for performance and give me a G5 in a laptop...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The claim is that IBM couldn't get the G5 to run cool enough to work in a Laptop and was supposedly the impetus for the switch to Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
powerbookg5.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.