MBP no go, 15" powerbook?

M

MarteDVX

Hi everyone, I have been reading all around the forums on the new MBP's. Up until now I was almost 100% on purchasing a new MBP. But now that I keep reading, I think it might be a better idea to buy a powerbook while I still can, and wait up to a year then upgrade to the MBP when things are a bit more worked out. I am wondering if there are any stores that would still sell new 15" powerbooks. I don't really want to take the risk of ebay and I don't want a 12" or 17" powerbook. So if anyone can let me know where I could buy a new 15" or if i'm stuck without it let me know. Thanks for all your help.

-Zach

Reaction score
I'm sure you could do a search on Google and fine some Apple Re-sellers that would probably have a few 15" PowerBooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 MBP
I was in the same boat then I thought. For a few hundred more I can get a pretty nice laptop that's future proofed pretty well, and I won't have to spend money twice. For what I do my MBP is great. Still waiting on Daz Studio to become a universal binary, but other than that I've had nooooo problems.
Just throwin my .02 out there to ya. Ya can't go wrong really, cuz you're still buying an Apple.

OP
M

MarteDVX

Thanks for the replies, I am going to check out some of those sites now. Yah I am fairly skeptical of ebay myself, but I am sitll considering it. Well I was going to get a MBP, but first off. I am completely new to Apple, and I feel that there may be problems with my MBP when I get it and I may not even realize there are any because I don't completely understand Macs yet. I mainly need the Mac for editing and using programs such as Final Cut Pro and Maya. I think my best option right now is to get a powerbook and learn the basics of Macs and understand a little bit before I get venturing into the intel world of perhaps some bugs. My plan is to get a powerbook for now, and in a year or however long until the Intel versions of Powermacs come out, then I will get one of those. :biohazard I love Macs so much, just by things I hear and things I have seen on my friends Powerbook. If you guys think I might be wrong in any of this let me know. I just think going with this route is a good idea for 1, the intels are still new, and 2, I am brand new to the Apple life. Thanks guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
I would really go for the MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
MarteDVX said:
So if anyone can let me know where I could buy a new 15" or if i'm stuck without it let me know. Thanks for all your help.

-Zach
There are plenty of them on Apple's Refurbed/Sale section of the online store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
There is a store here in Springfield Illinois (MicroPower Computer Systems) where I bought mine that had two new ones left. I got mine for $1599.00 if you are interested PM me and I'll give you their phone number and the guys name i bought mine from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MBP, 2GB, 7200 100GB disk | Dual 2Ghz G5, 1.5Gb RAM, 20" cinema | 15" 1.25 PB / 4Gb iPod Nano
I have both a MBP and a PowerBook G4 sitting on the bench next to me, I can honestly say the PB has not been opened since the MBP was bought. There is no way I would swap back or take a PB instead of the MBP.

Personally if you have the cash I think buying a PB4 now over a MBP is a mistake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.1
Mate I have a PowerBook 15" for sale if your interested. I'm in the UK though so I can't post to the US but if you're interested then drop me a PM.

I've only had it for 8 months and there isn't a scratch or dead pixel on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
i bought a 17in PB before they ran out .... LOVE IT!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.