Need help on how to network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
I need help with how to make a folder that when windows xp logs over it can only see one folder on my computer and not all that is in the user machine. With windows you can assign so that you only have access to the folder and only that one. I know it can be done with a Mac but, how do I go about assigning a folder for the people on the other computer can see only?

Thanks in advance,
Dooglla...a mac newbie

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Dooglla said:
I need help with how to make a folder that when windows xp logs over it can only see one folder on my computer and not all that is in the user machine. With windows you can assign so that you only have access to the folder and only that one. I know it can be done with a Mac but, how do I go about assigning a folder for the people on the other computer can see only?

Thanks in advance,
Dooglla...a mac newbie

Couplla ways to go:

(1) use the sharing tab from system prefs
(2) use the info tab from finder (you can set permissions from there)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 20"
Thanks...I am not sure yet I understand this yet but, I will look at it and try to figure out this.

Reaction score
Blogging about good deals on apple stuff. Come vi
Dooglla said:
Thanks...I am not sure yet I understand this yet but, I will look at it and try to figure out this.

The sharing area of system prefs lets you set more "global" access to the computer. Go to the blue apple in the upper left, click on system prefs, and then click on the sharing folder.

The info tab (highlight a file or folder and hit "command-i") will let you set access permissions for a specific folder. The last option in the column is usually "ownership & permissions". You can set access by owner, group, or others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.