Ram upgrade causing errors

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 iMac 3.06 i3 20 GB ram
That would be my guess. If there are four slots and the maximum memory is 16 GB then the maximum size for each chip will be 4 GB. The 8 GB may fit physically but there is probably something else preventing them from working. One of my earlier Macs would take a chip configuration where the machine could physically take more memory than the internal circuitry could "see" and make use of.

So potentially I could order 2x4gb and use the original 2x2gb for a total of 12gb?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So potentially I could order 2x4gb and use the original 2x2gb for a total of 12gb?

Yes you could do that.:) But if you were already spending $$$ for 2 x 8gig of ram. 4 x 4gig of ram is pretty much the same price. But if 12gig is enough…yes that should work.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes you could do that.:) But if you were already spending $$$ for 2 x 8gig of ram. 4 x 4gig of ram is pretty much the same price. But if 12gig is enough…yes that should work.

- Nick

I must have got a good deal. My 2x8gig was only $58. 4x4gig is $97. Not a huge difference, I'm just worried that it's not going to work. Because that's the luck I've been having lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
By the way. Just looked up the specs on this computer. It has a max ram of 16 gig…and it has 4 ram slots. You should NOT be using 8gig sticks of ram. If you want 16gig of ram…as chscag mentioned earlier...you should be using 4gig sticks of ram (4 x 4gig).

The 8gig ram you have is probably fine…it just shouldn't be used in this computer.

- Nick

Just to add a comment about RAM memory from Crucial, I and several other local Mac users have run into trouble when using memory from Crucial and they are just NOT particular or detailed enough when supplying proper RAM. And returns are a real hassle due to customs and duty etc. from Canada.

We are lucky enough to have a local dealer who is right up to date and always supplies the correct RAM. In this case the OP might notice that only the 4GB modules are listed as compatible with that Mac MC508LL/A model to get its maximum memory - that actually works!!! :
http://canadaram.com/apple_imac_intel.htm#iMac112

PS: I did break down and bought a Crucial 240GB SSD BX200 on sale as I needed a cheap replacement for my non-critical 2007 MBPro that I almost had to return as it would not mount when used in my Voyager 4x Dock and connected via Firewire or Thunderbolt adapter. USB connection did.

So, just mentioning that with most experience with Crucial and their supplied RAM modules has not been good for a lot of local Mac users here. Just saying…

PPS: Never any such problems with OWC Mac compatible memory if we have to use them but CanadaRam.com is just a short drive away and always works.

- Patrick
======

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to add a comment about RAM memory from Crucial, I and several other local Mac users have run into trouble when using memory from Crucial and they are just NOT particular or detailed enough when supplying proper RAM. And returns are a real hassle due to customs and duty etc. from Canada.

We are lucky enough to have a local dealer who is right up to date and always supplies the correct RAM. In this case the OP might notice that only the 4GB modules are listed as compatible with that Mac MC508LL/A model to get its maximum memory - that actually works!!! :
http://canadaram.com/apple_imac_intel.htm#iMac112

PS: I did break down and bought a Crucial 240GB SSD BX200 on sale as I needed a cheap replacement for my non-critical 2007 MBPro that I almost had to return as it would not mount when used in my Voyager 4x Dock and connected via Firewire or Thunderbolt adapter. USB connection did.

So, just mentioning that with most experience with Crucial and their supplied RAM modules has not been good for a lot of local Mac users here. Just saying…

PPS: Never any such problems with OWC Mac compatible memory if we have to use them but CanadaRam.com is just a short drive away and always works.

- Patrick
======

I'm realizing a lot of things lol. I've sent back the second set of Crucial memory and will be ordering OWC 2x4gb. I'll use that for a while with my 2x2gb and see how things are. If they prove to work well I'll replace the 2x2gb with another 2x4gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd take a guess unless your'er using some high end memory hungry apps that the total 12GB memory you'll end up with will be more than enough for the useable lifespan of your Mac.

Activity Monitor.app will give you an idea if and when you might need more, and depending on how you use your Mac and its installed OS X version and applications/utilities etc. …

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
OWC will for sure tell you the exact RAM you need in that machine. Like was said it does not accept 8GB sticks. That is what is causing the error. If you had the 27" with either an i5 or i7 those would take up to 32 GB ram but not the 21.5". !2 should be fine but if it were me I would get 4 of the Dimms from OWC and go to 16.

Keep us posted.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd take a guess unless your'er using some high end memory hungry apps that the total 12GB memory you'll end up with will be more than enough for the useable lifespan of your Mac.

Activity Monitor.app will give you an idea if and when you might need more, and depending on how you use your Mac and its installed OS X version and applications/utilities etc. …

- Patrick
======

I will be using Lightroom and Photoshop the majority of the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will be using Lightroom and Photoshop the majority of the time.

Then as I'm led to believe, those apps like lots of RAM and the 16GB option would be preferred as Dennis et al mentioned, and it shouldn't break the bank.

But I'm a bit surprised if those were the main apps to be used, that a i3 Mac model was chosen and poor advice if advised and only now adding RAM. Anyway, hopefully you'll notice the difference and things will speed up a fair bit.

PS: Maybe check out some hits and hints from a search like this:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...troom+and+Photoshop+ram+use&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then as I'm led to believe, those apps like lots of RAM and the 16GB option would be preferred as Dennis et al mentioned, and it shouldn't break the bank.

But I'm a bit surprised if those were the main apps to be used, that a i3 Mac model was chosen and poor advice if advised and only now adding RAM. Anyway, hopefully you'll notice the difference and things will speed up a fair bit.

PS: Maybe check out some hits and hints from a search like this:
https://www.google.com/search?clien...troom+and+Photoshop+ram+use&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

- Patrick
======

I am just getting into photography as a hobby and wasn't looking to spend a large amount at this point. It's more about learning than anything. I got such a great deal on this iMac on eBay that I couldn't pass it up. Surprisingly Lightroom runs pretty smoothly with just the 4gb ram, and I'm still learning that program. Photoshop will be down the line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds good and enjoy your Mac.

- Patrick
======

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am just getting into photography as a hobby and wasn't looking to spend a large amount at this point. It's more about learning than anything. I got such a great deal on this iMac on eBay that I couldn't pass it up. Surprisingly Lightroom runs pretty smoothly with just the 4gb ram, and I'm still learning that program. Photoshop will be down the line.

Sounds great.

One note, Photoshop especially as you get more and more into it and do more advanced things really sucks up the RAM. Just a note!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must have got a good deal. My 2x8gig was only $58.

Probably because the incorrect ram was purchased.;)

If you go to Crucial.com…and use their memory finder tool. It can be seen that 8gig sticks of ram are not listed for a 2010 21" iMac.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably because the incorrect ram was purchased.;)

If you go to Crucial.com…and use their memory finder tool. It can be seen that 8gig sticks of ram are not listed for a 2010 21" iMac.

- Nick

Touché lol

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone. New ram arrives tomorrow and I don't expect any more problems

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please let us know how it goes.:)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Installed the new ram 2x4gb with the 2x2gb and same errors. Installed only the new 2x4gb and same errors. Put the original 2x2gb back in and it works perfectly.

This is now the third set of ram. Different manufacturers same results. Am I missing something?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Are you actually purchasing Mac compatible low density modules for Crucial or macsales?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.