ATI Graphics - iMac 27 - incorrect graphics card reported

Reaction score
I dual boot a 2015 27" iMac - OSX and Ubuntu.

In mac, my graphics card is a : R9 M380

But in Linux it is a : FirePro M6100

Please see Ask Ubuntu on Stack Exchange

http://askubuntu.com/questions/798636/ati-graphics-imac-27-incorrect-graphics-card-reported/

Linux as it is clearly querying the device asking it for information, where as the Mac just says what it is told to.

Who is correct here ?

If Mac is wrong - then they have clearly falsely described the hardware they sold me - Naughty Macintosh !

update : Mac users are saying Mac is correct and Linux users are saying Linux is correct. Before this turns in a Linux VS OSX pointless discussion may I say that I have used Linux on a Mac since 2007 with Ubuntu for PowerPC - I love them both dearly.

What I am after here is some technical evidence - may be some Links ? spec sheets ? commands for Mac to query the hardware ?
NOT anecdotal evidence or Linux insults (lest we not forget its a grandchild of BSD)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I think the mac is correct.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As member ferrarr stated, your Mac is correct. Ubuntu is punting! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

OP
J
Reaction score
I expect you are correct - however, please can anyone replying provide technical evidence. Answers like - Mac is right - have no weight.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Apple has never used a Fire Pro in an iMac. That is a fact. The only Fire Pros ever used in a Mac are in the Mac Pros. It's a Pro card. The iMac is a consumer machine.

Go to Every Mac (Google it). They have the official Apple specs to every Mac made there.

Linux is out of its mind.

I in fact in the past have had the great Linux tell me my hardware was different on the Machines I built from the ground up and knew every single piece of hardware since I assembled it.

OP
J
Reaction score
Anything less er ... anecdotal ?

Last edited by a moderator:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Anything less er ... anecdotal ?

I told you to go to everymac.com. They have the exact specs for every Mac made there. NO IMAC has ever used a PRO card like the Fire GL. Sorry. If you do not believe that and want to believe Linux, there is not a thing anyone here can do to convince you otherwise. Have a good day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Well, which card is better, that is the card you have.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I expect you are correct - however, please can anyone replying provide technical evidence. Answers like - Mac is right - have no weight.

As our moderator stated, go to www.everymac.com and see for yourself. I have run Linux (Ubuntu) on many systems and can assure you that at best it "guesses" at what hardware is installed especially on the more complex systems. Not to deride you... but I never understood why anyone would want to dual boot Linux with OS X. Dual booting Windows and OS X makes more sense. But to each his own.... ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If Mac is wrong - then they have clearly falsely described the hardware they sold me - Naughty Macintosh !

You should probably wait for responses before declaring "Naughty Macintosh".;) Even a preliminary declaration.:)

I can't remember the last time the Mac OS inaccurately reported hardware specs (and I'm talking 30 years of Mac experience).

What the Mac OS reports is the correct into. And is confirmed via Everymac.com:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-inch-aluminum-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
ok - I am well out of my depth here !I didn't realise it was such a pit of vipers.
I'll stick to stackexchange and other platforms where people are impartial and helpful.
thanks (i think)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I didn't realise it was such a pit of vipers.
I'll stick to stackexchange and other platforms where people are impartial and helpful.
thanks (i think)
I'm afraid I don't quite get what you mean by this. The answers you've gotten have been accurate and courteous. I understand that they may not have been the answers you expected but that doesn't make them incorrect.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok - I am well out of my depth here !I didn't realise it was such a pit of vipers.
thanks (i think)

Pit of Vipers because we kept telling you the truth what Card is in the system and you kept doubting? I even gave you a URL with the for sure specs of that machine.

Edit, I read your thread over on Stackexchange and everyone there except one crazy told you it was the Radeon and not the fire. Even that DCPI program told you it was the Radeon.

Not sure what else to say. We all tried to help you here and I believe we told you the 100% truth. Take care.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
thanks (i think)

Not a "pit of vipers" at all.:) When you make provocative or accusatory statements…folks will respond.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
DPCI Manger for Mac reports this card as Radeon HD 8950

89501002, 6640, 106B, 014B, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI], Saturn [Radeon HD 8950]

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That app has not been updated since 2011.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will say this one more time. NO Comsumer grade Mac which is what an iMac is, never will or never had had a Fire GL card. It's impossible. I don't care what Linux says. It has been stated in this thread OSX is just guessing on the video card and Apples own Specs are LIES. If that is the truth, get a Lawyer and sue apple for lying about what hardware you are getting in your Mac.

Also since this is an iMac, Did you ever turn it upside down and look at the bottom of the stand for the label there? Those specs there are like Dells Service Tag and show EXACTLY the hardware that came in the iMac. No other video card can be fitted. It's proprietary. What you see on the bottom of the stand is what is inside.

Not sure what else to say.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
lol Dennis they just do not want to believe. It beats me why anyone would want to go this way arguing for the sake of arguin g.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.