Charging an ibook via usb?

S

Suklaakakku

This may sound like a daft question, but I have done something extremely daft - I have left my charger for my ibook elsewhere ( a three hour drive away ) and I would like to use my ibook.

I have an IPod charger - is it possible to use that to charge my ibook by connecting it to the usb port on the ibook or is that likely to cause damage?

Shops local to me have no chargers compatible with ibook - so I am stuck and will have to drive hundreds of miles either to buy one or get my own back. I am not feeling very well today so I don't really want to drive - so any advice on whether it is worth trying the usb adaptor would be greatfully received!

(my instinct is that it is not going to work, and may damage my machine which is why I shan't do anything until perhaps somebody here can confirm whether it would work or not)

Many thanks

Reaction score
Don't do it. As far as I'm aware no PC, laptop, Mac, anything, will accept power coming INTO it via a USB port. USB ports give power, not accept them.

The iBook, just like all other laptops will have a very specific charging mechanism, which will be linked soley to the normal charging port, and the battery.

Do not do it. However, in saying that, I'd love to see what would happen, just in a more controlled environment. Never seen an iBook explode :)

Reaction score
How much is it going to cost you in petrol (gas) to drive for 3 hours?
I'm in the UK and with our prices it would be cheaper to go to a local dealer and pick up a new charger...Plus then you can have a spare

EDIT: I just checked the price and they are way more expensive than i thought. They may think it's innovative but its a rip off.

Reaction score
mig.gentry said:
How much is it going to cost you in petrol (gas) to drive for 3 hours?
I'm in the UK and with our prices it would be cheaper to go to a local dealer and pick up a new charger...Plus then you can have a spare

EDIT: I just checked the price and they are way more expensive than i thought. They may think it's innovative but its a rip off.

I think the point is, most places don't sell iBook chargers in store. Apple stores are few and far between, both in the UK and in the US, as far as I know.

Quite annoying actually.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.