Account Problem

Reaction score
Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this :(

I have been a member here for 8 years - coincidentally 8 years yesterday :)

On trying to login today I was advised that my ID does not work any more and I have to reset my password. Unfortunately, about a year ago I had to change my ISP, which forced a change of email address. It did not occur to me that I would need to advise any of the various Forums (Fora?) to which I belong about such a change.

Therefore I cannot reset my password as I can no longer access the email to which the reset message will be sent.

I don't want to post my email address here, but my original ID is Nighthawk4.

Could an Administrator please get in touch with me via the email address I used for this account to help me reset my email address - and hence my password - for the Nighthawk4 account?

I did send an email to the Administrators (I think), so sorry if this is already being dealt with.

Tom Kemp
Nighthawk4

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi Tom - I've alerted the administrators, they should be able to get you fixed up.

BTW, I recommend using an ISP-agnostic email address for precisely this reason. Just something to think about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I've had the same problem. Password reset links wouldn't work; kept telling me password was wrong when it wasn't. Eventually got a temporary password, logged on and changed password. Logged on and ticked 'remember me'. Guess what - it didn't. Hope they get this sorted out soon.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@Sawday Some of us have had to make the password change a few times before it sticks and the forum remembers it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Same thing here. :(
Reluctantly obtained the temporary password, then was not allowed to use the "form" to change it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Problem appears to be solved for now thankyou.

Will wait and see how things develop :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2011), iPad Air (late '13), iPhone 5
I had similar problems last night. Finally took the step of getting a temp. password, then, when I'd gotten in, I made a 'new' password, which was the old one, actually, and it succeeded.

On my iPad, I've put the password into the password string (not sure this is the correct term, hope it's clear to what I am referring..). So anyway, perhaps this will make it easier.

I use 1Password, but the "open & fill" won't work on this site's coding, apparently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I've had the same problem. Password reset links wouldn't work; kept telling me password was wrong when it wasn't. Eventually got a temporary password, logged on and changed password. Logged on and ticked 'remember me'. Guess what - it didn't. Hope they get this sorted out soon.

I encountered exactly the same thing and got the feeling that some old bad Apple OS X update programmers had taken over control at the mac-forums for a bit. :Evil:

A bit of a relief to know it wasn't just me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Got disconnected from Mac Forums & trying to create a new password did not work... but somebody fixed on your end! Well Done... Thanx!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'09 iMac 21' 1Tb, '14, MBP 15" 256 i7 SSD, iPhone X
Account problem

Add me to the problem. Was unable to login, temp password didn't work, then I have had to re register for a new account after 9 years in order to use the forum. No reason given. This will be my first post/reply with my new account...if it will work!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
It happened to me a while ago, too. Now, it still will not let me add an image to my member profile. Can't figure it out. I just tried again yesterday.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Add me to the problem. Was unable to login, temp password didn't work, then I have had to re register for a new account after 9 years in order to use the forum. No reason given. This will be my first post/reply with my new account...if it will work!

Send us the userid of that 9 year-old account....and I'm sure we can fix things.:)

- Many times the issue turns out to be that the member forgets the email address they used when they originally registered with Mac-Forums. After 9 years stuff like this happens.;) But really is the member's responsibility to remember these things.;)

- And/or...if the member is not a frequent visitor...sometimes they forget their password. Again...a responsibility of the member.:)

But again...I'm sure we can get things fixed. Please PM myself or any Mac-Forums Staff member your 9 year-old userid...and I'm sure we can get things fixed.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It happened to me a while ago, too. Now, it still will not let me add an image to my member profile. Can't figure it out. I just tried again yesterday.

Bob...what exactly is happening? Are we talking about an avatar for your profile?

One thing that could be tripping up the process is an image that's too large...or in some way doesn't conform to the parameters for an avatar.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
OK Nick, I just adjusted my image using Preview. It shows, in Preview > Adjust Size, 1" x 1" and 100 pixels/inch, and it is 7 KB. I'll see if this works and if not, I will ask for more help. Thanks.

By the way, this is for my Profile Picture, should it be for my Avatar, to show with my info?

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good deal Bob.:)

- Nick

Edit:

By the way, this is for my Profile Picture, should it be for my Avatar, to show with my info?

Usually the more visible photo is the avatar (since it shows up with every post a member makes). I was assuming you were trying to upload an avatar photo for that reason (since you don't have an avatar photo at this moment).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Nick:

Bob and I went round and round some time ago trying to get his Avatar to upload to his profile. No go. His profile picture uploaded OK, but it was too large to display. When I tried to add his Avatar to the custom Avatars, it refused because we no longer have permissions to do so. However, any one of the built in Avatars that are available from the Admin panel will work. Go figure?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I deleted the Avatar, and Profile pictures. I noticed earlier, that when I went into My Profile, it showed my "selected" picture, but it never made it to my posts. I don't know what else to try, and I can't find my original thread relating to this issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.