iMac won't pick up bluetooth devices

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hey guys, I'm in a spot where I need some advice/opinions. This morning I received a 27" 2010 iMac to eventually replace my existing 21.5" model of the same. I got this in particular because it's the last model that my wife's work laptop can take advantage of Target Display Mode. It's in really great shape and has some upgrades I definitely wanted. In particular, the wifi and bluetooth card was upgraded to support 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0. The wireless works perfectly fine and confirmed I am connecting to my router on "ac". Bluetooth is another matter. El Capitan sees I have the upgraded card and all seems well in the System Report, but it can't see any devices whatsoever while my old iMac sitting next to it does see available devices. The same problem exists when running the utility to add a Bluetooth keyboard.

Troubleshooting steps have included deleting the Bluetooth plists in the root Library and my user Library; resetting PRAM and SMC; clean reinstalling 10.11.5; unplugging all USB devices, shutting down for 5 minutes, then restarting back up (per Apple's troubleshooting steps) and applying the 10.11.5 Update Combo. Nothing has made a difference. I've discussed it with the seller and he said it was working when he shipped it, and I have no reason to doubt it. My best guess at this point is that the Bluetooth antenna has come loose inside. Nothing else really makes any sense to me. Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You've done a thorough job of trouble shooting the problem. And I have to agree with you about the BT antenna possibly coming loose especially noting that the card was changed out. I don't envy you having to open up the iMac to check and possibly reseat the antenna. Let us know....

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You've done a thorough job of trouble shooting the problem. And I have to agree with you about the BT antenna possibly coming loose especially noting that the card was changed out. I don't envy you having to open up the iMac to check and possibly reseat the antenna. Let us know....

I was planning to replace the hard drive and DVD drive myself (there's an SSD in place already in the spare bay), but I think I'm going to take it to a local authorized repair center and have them fix this first, maybe install those components too while open. I got this off eBay and I don't want to open it myself, find there's something majorly messed up, and I'm on the hook for it because I opened it up and no 3rd party proof. I really doubt that's the case but it'd be one expensive mistake if I took the chance. I'll have to talk further to the seller about adjusting the final price since it's not as advertised. Thanks for feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ypu talk about the 'card' Did you replace the original with a combined card? Originally your iMac used Bluetooth 2.1 What version appears now in Apple System Profiler > Bluetooth. Maybe the card is different to the original Bluetooth Card.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ypu talk about the 'card' Did you replace the original with a combined card? Originally your iMac used Bluetooth 2.1 What version appears now in Apple System Profiler > Bluetooth. Maybe the card is different to the original Bluetooth Card.

I didn't replace it, the seller did. It's a combo card that provides support for 802.11ac and Bluetooth 4.0. System Profiler recognizes BT 4.0 as available and opening up the BT preferences shows it in a ready state looking for BT devices, it just doesn't see any while my other iMac right next to it does. I'll post a link to the product he used... it's a straight up plug-and-play solution that's not supposed to require any hackery.
http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...adapter-for-imac-2009-imac-2010-and-imac-2011

The seller agreed to reimburse me for repairs if I take it to an authorized repair center, which is the safest course of action for both of us.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The seller agreed to reimburse me for repairs if I take it to an authorized repair center, which is the safest course of action for both of us.

That's a good seller. Usually, trying to get a seller to reimburse for anything is like pulling teeth. Keep us posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I wonder lab if the signal is sent using Bluetooth 2.0, the original system in that model iMac. Maybe the devices still send BT2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How about if you turn the other iMac off? Then try to connect through bluetooth.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well this is really depressing. There was a broken cable inside, another loose. Signs of the power supply having been tampered with or modified. Corrosion. I was told in no uncertain terms that I should return it. I just started the process.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted and here's hoping that your seller will make things good.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry to hear that. Keep us posted and here's hoping that your seller will make things good.

He was extremely cool about it, though he said the assessment of the power supply being tampered with was wrong. He did all the upgrades himself and never touched that. He's already issued me a shipping label, so I'm just out some time and effort. I thought about just living with it and getting a Bluetooth dongle but I'll just bide my time and keep looking. That 27" screen was magnificent!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad to hear your seller is going to make things good. I love my 27" iMac (2013 model) and if I ever replace it, it will be with another 27" iMac but this time with a retina screen and large SSD. $$ :)

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought a different iMac off eBay and it came in yesterday. I went with this one in part because the seller offered a 14 day return policy if you aren't satisfied. This one is in really great shape. Unlike the other, everything worked and was dead silent. That other one was a little noisy, I think from the hard drive but could have been a fan.

Anyway, we replaced the DVD drive for a new one that will read Blu-rays; replaced the hard drive with a new higher capacity one (using OWC's thermal sensor kit to get around the fan issue when using a drive that isn't compatible with the existing thermal sensor cable); and added an OWC SSD in the bay with their kit. It was an unholy pain in the rear to get this all done without messing up, and I definitely couldn't have done it without my wife and her smaller hands. There is no way I'll ever do this again (took a good 6 hours of working on it), but it's up, running, and running beautifully! It was super-clean inside, no dust. Target Display Mode works great with my wife's ThinkPad from work so this will really help her quite a bit. I also recently picked up a Matias bluetooth keyboard that can pair with up to 4 different devices and a Logitech mouse that can pair with 3 devices. You just hit a button/flip a switch to change devices. With these paired to the iMac and her laptop, she can just plug in the mini-DP cable, flip the switches on the keyboard/mouse, and then work as if she was on the iMac directly. It's great and saving a LOT of clutter!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like you had fun. Nice husband - wife project. :) I'm not sure at my age I would have the patience to do what you did! Anyway, thanks for updating the thread and enjoy your new iMac. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@LB I'm going to have to check out that Keyboard. I have a logitech that behaves similarly but have not used it since I bought the iMac. I like the keyboard that ships with current iMacs and did not think that I would. The two things I miss are the ability to switch among several devices, which I don't need much anymore, and I wish it were backlit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The two things I miss are the ability to switch among several devices, which I don't need much anymore, and I wish it were backlit.

Check out the latest from Logitech. They have a wireless Mac backlighted re-chargeable BT keyboard for $99.00. I believe it's only available in black in case you wanted something to match your iMac.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Check out the latest from Logitech. They have a wireless Mac backlighted re-chargeable BT keyboard for $99.00. I believe it's only available in black in case you wanted something to match your iMac.
Thanks for that tidbit. I did not know that. I bought the one I have because it pairs with three devices (which I don't use much) and was rechargeable. I'll have to check them out again.

I originally bought the keyboard I have to simplify running two Macs a bit. I nl longer need to do that much but it dawns on me that I could easily pair it with the Mac, iPad, and Apple TV.

Last edited:
OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@LB I'm going to have to check out that Keyboard. I have a logitech that behaves similarly but have not used it since I bought the iMac. I like the keyboard that ships with current iMacs and did not think that I would. The two things I miss are the ability to switch among several devices, which I don't need much anymore, and I wish it were backlit.

This Matias is great, but it isn't backlit. It is a "full" keyboard though and has a battery big enough to last a year on a full charge according to them.
http://matias.ca/aluminum/wireless/

I got the Space Gray version, not because I wanted to match my iPhone, but the black keys won't show up grimy buildup like the white ones do.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm holding off for a bit. I've got a few other things I need to take care of first. Now, when Charlie comes through with that massive amount of Mac-Forums Moderator money that's another matter. lol

In all seriousness, if those guys ever build a backlit keyboard I'd probely buy the first one. Their gear has a reputation for being almost indestructible.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.