Powers down when trying to wake from sleep

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 Mini, i7. iPhone XS Max, 9.7" iPad
This started today, after I moved my computer from one room to the next, for a more permanent office space.

It's plugged into the same power strip, just a different electrical socket. Once it goes to sleep, and my illuminated keyboard turns off, if I press a key I hear a little hiccup in the power and I can't wake the computer. I have to unplug the power cable and plug it back in before it will reboot.

The only things changed are the electrical socket and the routing of a few USB cables. More are plugged in to a powered USB hub that previously. I am leaving for work in a few minutes, but my next step was to reset the SMC, just trying to see if there was anything else I should try.

Any ideas?

iMac 5k Late 2015
4GHz i7
16 GB Ram
R9 M390
OS 10.11.5
Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any ideas?

What you want to find out is…is this really a computer problem…or really a location problem. In order to determine if it's a location problem…return the computer back to the location you had it before…and set it up exactly as it was before.

- If you have no troubles that the old location…then it's a location problem.
- If you have the same troubles at the old location…then this is a computer issue…and not location related.

* Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hooked up to the old power source, uninstalled Logitech gaming software, went back to the Apple mouse and keyboard, reset SMC, still doesn't function properly.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SOLVED

Unplugged everything except the power cord and used the Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Added things back one by one. Found out it was when I powered my USB 3 hub, it would cause the issue. If I unplug the power cable to this hub, while still using the hub, it works just fine.

Sabrent 5V 4A 100V-240V to DC Power Adapter (PS-5V4W) was the culprit.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for posting back with that. I would never have thought of that. For others reading the thread adding devices back one at a time can be a good way to spot some vexing problems that don't seem to have a pattern. It can take a while though if you have lots of things connected.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.