Malware Bytes Installation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini OS X El Capitan 2.6 Ghz i GB 1 TB
Let's see if this works. Every time I try to post something, I get a message that I have selected the wrong forum. I know - it's me.

Question. Soon after I got my mac mini, the computer set-up man installed Malware Bytes. It does seem to be running - if a three-second scan is a legitimate scan. However, when I open Finder/Applications, Malware Bytes is not listed there. Shouldn't it be?

I have a follow-up question about this but I'll hold it until I hear about this one.

Thank you.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

I think it's named Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. And yes, it should be there in your Applications folder. I just ran it and it took a couple of seconds to do a scan. Bear in mind that unlike Windows with thousands of viruses to check, Malwarebytes has much less to scan for and so it runs much quicker.

If it's not in the Applications folder, you can get it from

https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Malwarebytes

I think it's named Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. And yes, it should be there in your Applications folder. I just ran it and it took a couple of seconds to do a scan. Bear in mind that unlike Windows with thousands of viruses to check, Malwarebytes has much less to scan for and so it runs much quicker.

If it's not in the Applications folder, you can get it from

https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/mac/

Thank you for reply. But, why is it running if it isn't installed? The icon is on the dock and, when I click it and ask for scan, it does go through the scan. Fast but flies by so I see it happen. Yet it isn't listed.

If it makes any difference, I do not have an Applications folder icon. I go to Finder and click Applications on the left side. Is that the same thing?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh! Is this it? I suddenly realized that "Applications" is the Apple apps. However, in "All My Files", I see MBAM. Is that it? Malware Bytes Anti-Malware? Maybe?

M

MacInWin

The real name of the file is as I gave it to you. I don't know what MBAM is, unless somehow your "computer set-up man" renamed it for some unknown reason. He shouldn't have done that because the update process to keep Malwarebytes up to date looks for the real name. The reason it isn't running all the time is that it doesn't need to run all the time. It is a tool to remove malware when you get it, not to prevent it from happening. Installing is NOT the same as running. If it is running, there should be a little dot below the icon on the Dock. If there is no dot, it's not running. There is no need to have it running all the time as it isn't a shield or protector, it's a remover. Running it all the time does nothing.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The real name of the file is as I gave it to you. I don't know what MBAM is, unless somehow your "computer set-up man" renamed it for some unknown reason. He shouldn't have done that because the update process to keep Malwarebytes up to date looks for the real name. The reason it isn't running all the time is that it doesn't need to run all the time. It is a tool to remove malware when you get it, not to prevent it from happening. Installing is NOT the same as running. If it is running, there should be a little dot below the icon on the Dock. If there is no dot, it's not running. There is no need to have it running all the time as it isn't a shield or protector, it's a remover. Running it all the time does nothing.

Next time I meet up with the setup man, I'll ask him. You have likely hit the nail on the head. Yes, I knew it wasn't running all the time, only when I ask it to scan. Those little black dots are useful.

I said I have a follow-up question. Just wanted to get that last confirmed first - at least as far as I know. I'll have to check with him. And I'll put the new question on its own thread as it is slightly different.

Thank you for replies.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Hazel:

Both of your threads regarding Malwarebytes have been moved here to the "Security Awareness" forum. Neither of your threads are really the subject of the "Switcher" forum. Not a problem, but please observe the forum descriptions prior to posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
If you want to check where it is, open Finder and in the spotlight window type in malwarebytes.

The app icon should then appear in the main Finder window. Right click it, click on Get Info and then you should see the directory path for the app.

Personally I moved mine from the main Applications folder into Utilities so mine says: Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.