Creating and Using Multiple Operating Systems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac 3.7 GHz 32 GB, 2013 15" McBk Pro Retina 16 GB-Both OS 11.5.2, iPhone 12Mx, iPads
I know this has probably been discussed but my searches have not found concise instructions to do it. Lots of references to doing it, maybe I am being dense but before I make the switch to El Capitan from my current operating system, 10.9.5 on my late 2013 iMac.

Yes I know I am way behind but I have a ton of files that need older software and some older yet files simple text (which will no longer run that I cut and pasted into Pages 08 which is also no longer supported by apple). I vaguely remember something about with the update being able to convert those files to a new rendition of Pages. That would be a plus because I really don't want to cut and paste (again) over a thousand documents. Sorry I am rambling on...

So, I'd like to be able top put my current OSX 10.9.5 on a USB drive or burn it to DVD and then have the ability to switch back and forth as I work to convert my files and probably software to be compatible El Capitan before I fall even further behind.

I apologize for this probably repeated question. :Blushing:

Thanks,
Greg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You can do this a couple of different ways. Install an OS on an external HD…and boot from it as necessary.

Format the internal storage into 2 more more partitions…then install the desired OS's on each partition (one OS version per partition).

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMac 3.7 GHz 32 GB, 2013 15" McBk Pro Retina 16 GB-Both OS 11.5.2, iPhone 12Mx, iPads
Nick, I must be missing something, I'm just not getting it. How do you install an OS anywhere? I have looked in Utilities and as I said searched on this site and not found the answer as to how you do it...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You need to download the OS installers you need from the Mac App Store. Then double click on them to install. This assumes that you downloaded the installer previously (OS 10.9 in this case). Because when new OS versions are released…the older OS installers are removed from the Apple servers.

Sounds like you need OS 10.9 and OS 10.11 installers. If you want to have access to both OS versions on one computer…you need to do what I mentioned above. Use an external drive for one of the OS's (and the other OS is on the internal drive). Or partition the internal drive into two partitions…and install the desired OS's (one on each partition).

Then when you reboot the computer…you press the option key to choose which partition to boot into (to gain access to that OS version).

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that makes it clearer. Do you know another place to get the 10.9 version? Is the installer in "X11.app"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If you have previously downloaded 10.9 look under purchases in the App store. It should appear there and allow you to download it and create a USB installer. I just tried it on my MB Air, which runs El Capitan, and the download started for me.

To create a bootable USB installer download Diskmaker X from here: http://diskmakerx.com/

And no X11.app will not be used or needed.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I believe your iMac came with Mavericks installed, so the only way for you to reinstall Mavericks would be to use Recovery. You will not be able to make an installer for Mavericks, when you are ready to install Mavericks, just follow the directions.

Be aware, iCloud changed in Yosemite and El Capitan, so before you authorize iCloud when you install El Capitan, read and understand how it will affect all of your iCloud syncs.

Reaction score
You could also clone your current OS to another drive. Make sure it's bootable.
Then install the update to your internal drive. Boot from either one.

M

MacInWin

+1 for cloning. Much easier and should let you do exactly what you want to do.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
First off let me thank all those who replied to my question, Thank You! Now for some more questions...

Nick, If I Partition my hard drive, won't that delete everything on my hard drive when it makes the partition?

Lisa, your suggestion enabled me to download from the App Store "Install OS X Mavericks.app". I had already stumbled on "DiskMaker X 5.app" but I thank you for affirming that it would be the program to use and that "X11" would not be used.

BUT I must have done something wrong because after doing the download from the App Store and using DiskMaker X 5.app, I ended up with "Install OS X Mavericks.app" on the Flash Drive I used for the install. The USB drive with that app on it doesn't show up when I go through System Preferences to select a start up drive. Does anybody have an idea what I did wrong???

Bob (ferrarr), you were correct that my iMac came with Mavericks installed. I haven't tried using "Recovery", I hesitate to risk doing anything to my iMac's system, another reason (besides the previously stated reasons) I have put off changing/updating to the newer OS systems. AND I will check into the iCloud issues you mentioned. Thats liable to become a whole new batch of questions since I also have a 15" MacBook Pro also running 10.9.5 but with a different user name. I am such a mess!!!

Cradom, I'm not sure of your name but I'm pretty sure it's not Lazarus Long, I am a fan of Heinlein's too! I do have "SuperDuper!" but I will have to get a lot of files off of my 3 TB iMac hard drive to use it to "clone" my drive AND how do I make sure it's "bootable"???

Jake (MacInWin), The same cloning questions as above to you. I have not used SuperDuper! in years and that was when I had way less files and all I used it for was to copy my whole hard drive. I lost some files the last time when I tried to use it because I didn't realize it would write over all the other data on the drive I was writing to. I know it was my mistake but it scared me away from using the program...

Thanks again to all of you for your help!

Greg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
"BUT I must have done something wrong because after doing the download from the App Store and using DiskMaker X 5.app, I ended up with "Install OS X Mavericks.app" on the Flash Drive I used for the install. The USB drive with that app on it doesn't show up when I go through System Preferences to select a start up drive. Does anybody have an idea what I did wrong???"

You didn't do anything wrong. When you are creating a bootable USB, this is the results you want. You can now use that USB to install Mavericks onto a different drive. You should also download El Capitan so you can make the USB for El Capitan when you are ready for it.

I must admit I was wrong, I did not think you would be able to download Mavericks using your Apple ID. You do not need to worry about Recovery if you have that Mavericks USB installer.

"Nick, If I Partition my hard drive, won't that delete everything on my hard drive when it makes the partition?"

No, while you are booted into Mavericks, you can use Disk Utility to partition your internal disk. See here, for instructions. Then you can install El Capitan to the new partition when you
download it.

Reaction score
It probably wont show up in Startup Disks. It should however show up as a bootable disk if you boot with the Option key held down.
If it doesn't, something went wrong.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you both, I have somethings to try tomorrow!!! :Cool:

Greg

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Slydude (doing his best Nick impression)

You should be able to create the seemed partition without destroying your data. There are a few instances where you can't do this so I offer the following advice:

1. Backup anything important before partitioning just in case there are problems.
2. If at any point you get a warning telling you that data may be destroyed/deleted stop until you figure out why it's not working. Unless of course you know you have a good backup.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am currently downloading El Capitan. So lets say in the future when I am ready and have all of my stuff thoroughly backed up, I wanted to partition my 3 TB hard drive in 4 sections, for future OS developments this fall. Is that even possible? And the other question would be how much space would each OS need to give it room, doesn't each "system" need space for new system files???

M

MacInWin

Jake (MacInWin), The same cloning questions as above to you. I have not used SuperDuper! in years and that was when I had way less files and all I used it for was to copy my whole hard drive. I lost some files the last time when I tried to use it because I didn't realize it would write over all the other data on the drive I was writing to. I know it was my mistake but it scared me away from using the program...
SD and CCC default to a perfect clone, that is, anything on the target that isn't on the source is erased. That way you have two identical drives. But both have an option to protect any file on the target from that erasure. So either use a target drive that you don't mind losing what's on it, or get a new drive, or change the settings in SD or CCC to preserve the existing files.

To know that the clone is bootable, after it's done, reboot holding down the Option key until a screen appears with boot options. One should be the clone you just created. Select it, let it boot (it will be slower than the internal drive, so patience, Grasshopper) and test it a bit to make sure it's working just as you expected. Then reboot normally and you have a solid backup bootable clone.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK the weekend is over, I have a lot of stuff to move and back up before I can take the next steps with this, so I will have some comments and probably more question next weekend. Thanks once again to everybody that helped!!!

Greg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.