Is this new version of Gmail app kosher?

Reaction score
My wife has just received an e-mail purportedly from Google inviting her to upgrade to the latest version of the Gmail app. "Settings" shows that she has 4.4, which is the same as on my (older) iPad. However, I have not received such an invitation.

As she's on the French Apple Store, the text is in French but it says: "The way you are accessing Gmail on your iPhone or iPad is not compatible with the latest functionalities of the application."

So is this Gmail upgrade kosher? As I say, her version shown in "Settings" is Gmail 4.4. Her IoS is 9.3.2 and so is mine.
Thanks in advance.

M

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My wife has just received an e-mail purportedly from Google inviting her to upgrade to the latest version of the Gmail app.

Always check the sender's email address BEFORE clicking on any links in an email. If this email did not come from Google or gmail…then of course question the legitimacy of the email (this goes for all emails).

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks ... the invitation to download has not been clicked. The e-mail is "from l'Equipe Gmail" and the blue link, which she did not click, says in French "install the latest version of the official Gmail application". There is an Apple Store logo in the e-mail. Anyway, I've deleted the e-mail. It would be good to hear the view of others on this forum.
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA i7, 8GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, High Sierra; iPad 3rd Gen, 32 GB, iOS 9; iPhone 5E, 64 GB, iOS 11
I don't believe the mail was really from Google. Generally speaking, updates to apps should come from the App Store. The GMail app is in the Apple App Store, it is downloadable for free. I would suggest deleting the app and re-download it from the App Store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The e-mail is "from l'Equipe Gmail" and the blue link, which she did not click, says in French "install the latest version of the official Gmail application". There is an Apple Store logo in the e-mail.

Misleading emails that look like the "real deal" have been around almost as long as there's been email. The main purpose of these emails is to obtain a person's userid & password to all sorts of accounts (email, banks, eBay, Paypal). Yes…these emails are purposely supposed to look like the real deal.

And when you click on a link (to supposedly download something or log into an account)…this clickable link will send unsuspecting folks to a website that looks EXACTLY the same as the real website.

Thus again…both the sender's email address should be very carefully examined…and the website address that these emails direct to should be looked at very carefully.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.