Installing Windows XP on a iBook Clamshell Laptop?

B

Booncy

I'm sorry if this post will appear to sound a bit ridiculous towards the members of this forum, but I'm a total noob at apple computers so please just bare with me on this. I just recently purchased a used teal iBook Clamshell laptop off of eBay (which works in perfect condition), and I was wondering if it were possible if I could install Windows XP on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Nope, That model uses a ppc processor. But you could use Virtual PC or Q it would just run very slow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
yeah, I wouldn't even spend any money on Virtual PC... your mac is not quite fast enough to run it very well.. Instead of spending $150 of Virtual PC, I think it would be better to just buy a cheap PC laptop on ebay.... Wecome to the forums BTW!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
Hmm...maybe the mods should make a sticky post explaining about the difference between PowerPC and Intel Macs, and why PowerPC Macs can't run Windows natively...
This kind of questions are becoming way too frequent...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
I'm using Q right now to run ReactOS and even that, Including several versions of Linux, run slow.

OP
E

edge

You have a Mac, you no longer need to use windows ;)
*Waves hand across screen* These aren't the OS's you're looking for!

In all seriousness now, these guys are right. It would just be too slow. Even on newer PPC systems, windows and x86 Linux distros are pretty sluggish.

With programs like Virtual PC, and Q, running on a PPC (PowerPC -- referring to the Processer and motherboard that support it), the software must emulate a processor, the system that allows the processor to communicate with the virtual devices, as well as either provide a link from the software itself to devices (like your display card, network card, modem, etc). Sometimes these devices must also be emulated regardless. If you know anything about how processors are made and how they work, you already know that they are pretty complex devices. For software to emulate one, it's, well...slow.

This is why using VPC, Vmware, Q, etc on a windows box is a little bit faster. The hardware is already natively supported, and much less needs to be emulated. That's why the new virtualization, multicore CPUs, and higher bandwidth memory is such a big deal right now. We're getting to the point where we'll have the ability to simply run multiple OSs on a single system (at the same time), without having to emulate hardware, or create a seperate environment.

Probably more answer than you wanted, but maybe this sheds some light on *why* it won't work, or would at least crawl slowly (as if windows doesn't already do this :p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Avalon said:
Hmm...maybe the mods should make a sticky post explaining about the difference between PowerPC and Intel Macs, and why PowerPC Macs can't run Windows natively...
This kind of questions are becoming way too frequent...
Nobody reads stickies.
There are already a bunch of them for common problems/questions and people always start new threads for them anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
D3v1L80Y said:
Nobody reads stickies.
There are already a bunch of them for common problems/questions and people always start new threads for them anyway.

Yes, I've noticed that too...maybe common sense isn't as common as it should be... :cool:

OP
B

Booncy

Thank you all for the answers, I really appreciate it. I also have another question for you guys. Can the verizon/MSN DSL program be installed on this old laptop for internet use?

Reaction score
i use verizon / msn on my mac mini.. but i just plug it in directly to the modem.. dont use the software.

OP
B

Booncy

Thank you everyone for all of your replies to my questions, I really appreciate it! However I have one more question to throw at you guys. I reiterate I'm a total n00b with mac computers, so please bare with me on questions that would seem idiotic to all of you. Does anyone know the name of the latest apple (mac) software that I could install on my Clamshell laptop? Since it's an old laptop that was made in the late 90's it obviously only has software on it that was available for this specific laptop at the time. Instead of installing Windows XP (which thanks to all of you I know is not possible) on it I want to install the latest apple software (if it's possible for this laptop)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
It depends what model clamshell laptop you have...

However, I'd reccomend sticking with Mac OS 10.3 panther.. Its the best OS overall for your system.. its apple's second-to latest OS.

Make sure your Ibook has enough ram before you do the upgrade, OS X had best performance 256mb or more....

Make sure that you have at least 2gb free hard drive space also.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.