Mac Pro Tower 2009 Dead After Shipping

Reaction score
I have a Mac Pro Tower, early 2009 with a SSD and El Cap. that was working perfectly before I shipped it to a friend. There was no damage to the box, packing, or the tower itself upon arrival. Now, it will not boot. I have reseated everything I can get to, including all the memory, the video card etc. I have checked all the ribbon cables I can see to insure they are in place.

Prior to shipping it booted quickly and worked great.

Now, when it is turned on, there is a quick LED flash internally, the fans start up, and you hear a brief sound from the Optical drive, but there is no chime, and nothing ever appears on the screen. I have tried holding command R. Command, option, P,R,. Shift. they all have the same response.

Do any of you guys have any suggestion on what I might try? Im sure it was tossed around in shipping, but I can't find anything obviously loose.

Thanks,
D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like either the SSD or graphics card has gone south. Do you have another hard drive that you can try booting with? And possibly a spare graphics card?

OP
D
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like either the SSD or graphics card has gone south. Do you have another hard drive that you can try booting with? And possibly a spare graphics card?

Thanks for your response. I have the HDD from an older mac, but the "carriage" is not the same. I assume I can move that to a carriage from the newer mac and it would work. I also have another graphics card.

I was under the impression that I would get the "chime" even if the HD and or GC were bad, or at least the flashing question mark/folder. Is this correct? I can try both when I am back at the computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When the Mac Pro was unboxed…was anything out of it's slot from shipping (ram, video card, etc.)? If so…it could have been tossing around inside the Mac Pro & got damaged itself…or damaged something else.

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
When the Mac Pro was unboxed…was anything out of it's slot from shipping (ram, video card, etc.)? If so…it could have been tossing around inside the Mac Pro & got damaged itself…or damaged something else.

- Nick

Nick,

No, nothing was visibly loose. Everything in the unit is pretty much solid state except the fans and the optical drive. All the fans are still running, including the one on the video card. There are "diagnostic" buttons on the logic board, but I am not sure what their purpose is. When pressed, LED's light up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Suggest the hard drive has died in transit. The old hard drive will fit as no doubt the SSD uses an Icey Dock or similar adapter to get the SSD mounted. Slide out the SSD and slide in the old hard drive. Good sign the diagnostics are all green.

Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
After moving mine around a few times to get things sorted and fixed and the such. I tended to find that the memory cards can be the biggest cause of a bad boot give them a little push back into position you never know they can become slightly loose in shipping.

Good Luck !!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.