Warranty program for iMac?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a warranty program for out-of-warranty iMacs? I have a 2011 iMac that could probably benefit form something like this.

Thanks!
Michael

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

What problems are you having with your 2011 iMac and which one do you have? Also, have you checked with Apple?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a warranty program for out-of-warranty iMacs? I have a 2011 iMac that could probably benefit form something like this.

There are warranty programs for Apple computers other than Applecare…but these usually require the computer to be basically new or recently purchased (such as Squaretrade requires the computer to be no more than 30 days from purchase).

When you say you have a 2011 iMac that could probably benefit from an out of warranty…warranty. Do you have a current issue? Obviously if the iMac has a current issue…looking for a warranty for a computer with a preexisting condition is not the most ethical thing to do.

Kind of like someone trying to get inexpensive life insurance with serious preexisting medical issues.

If you do have an issue…like chscag asked…what is it…maybe we can help.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I heard about this, not sure if it affects your iMac? There is also this page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
There are warranty programs for Apple computers other than Applecare…but these usually require the computer to be basically new or recently purchased (such as Squaretrade requires the computer to be no more than 30 days from purchase).

When you say you have a 2011 iMac that could probably benefit from an out of warranty…warranty. Do you have a current issue? Obviously if the iMac has a current issue…looking for a warranty for a computer with a preexisting condition is not the most ethical thing to do.

Kind of like someone trying to get inexpensive life insurance with serious preexisting medical issues.

- Nick

A few months ago, my AppleCare ran out on my MBPro & iMac - toward the end of the expiration date, I had my laptop checked at our local Simply Mac store for a potential battery issue - they offer an extended 2-year warranty for about $240, as I recalled - I could have added that immediately to my MBPro which they had just checked, but for my iMac, I would need to bring the computer into them to check first - sure that they would have discovered a potential issue(s) - if I were selling extended warranties, such a policy would be one of my requirements.

BUT @ Michael, your computer is 5 years old - I'd be saving my money for a new one, just saying and only my opinion - Dave :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few months ago, my AppleCare ran out on my MBPro & iMac - toward the end of the expiration date, I had my laptop checked at our local Simply Mac store for a potential battery issue - they offer an extended 2-year warranty for about $240, as I recalled - I could have added that immediately to my MBPro which they had just checked...

Yes…maybe there are some warranty places willing to sell a warranty on a older unit. Maybe since your laptop was still just barely within the Applecare warranty…this helped (not sure of this places warranty requirements).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes…maybe there are some warranty places willing to sell a warranty on a older unit. Maybe since your laptop was still just barely within the Applecare warranty…this helped (not sure of this places warranty requirements).

Hi Nick - not to 'hijack' a thread, but the OP brings up the question on whether to continue a warranty on a 'say' 3 y/o Apple Mac? Now, my MBPro is working fine and I can see using it for another couple of years, and then a replacement - does one really need a warranty beyond that AppleCare point? Now, my wife's iMac could be added as an extended warranty, but I'd like to get a new one w/ a 4K retina display and a 512 GB SSD, so a reason not to extend the warranty on that computer.

SO, just a consideration, i.e. why extend a warranty on a machine that has outlived its AppleCare? When I was on PCs, I typically replaced them at 4-5 years and expect to do the same w/ my Apple computers, but is that the best option? Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks for your help. The 2011 iMac I have has had 2 video card replacements. The first time was taken care of by Apple as the part was defective. The second time was $900. Other than that, the machine is sold and works wonderfully. I also have a 2015 iMac that is out of warranty, and brand new. So, I'm looking for a warranty or insurance plan that could cover repair costs, if indeed there is a plan.
Thanks for your help and insight as always,
Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi All,
Thanks for your help. The 2011 iMac I have has had 2 video card replacements. The first time was taken care of by Apple as the part was defective. The second time was $900. Other than that, the machine is sold and works wonderfully. I also have a 2015 iMac that is out of warranty, and brand new. So, I'm looking for a warranty or insurance plan that could cover repair costs, if indeed there is a plan.
Thanks for your help and insight as always,......

Hi again Michael - regarding your 'new' 2015 iMac, I'm assuming that by 'out of warranty' you mean the 1 year protection has expired and that you did not buy AppleCare for this computer - correct?

Now AppleCare can be purchased w/i a year of the date you bought the iMac (see quote below from Apple's KB Article) - at the bottom of the link, you can enter the serial number of your 2015 computer to see if it still may be eligible - of course, I gave another option previously, i.e. using a reliable third party provider of a warranty policy, if available in your area? Dave :)

The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac or Apple Display for three years, or your Apple TV for two years, from the original date you buy your device.

You can buy the AppleCare Protection Plan with your new Mac, Apple Display, or Apple TV, or within one year of your product purchase. Learn more about where to buy the AppleCare Protection Plan.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also have a 2015 iMac that is out of warranty, and brand new.

Can't be both.

- If it's brand new…then it would still be in warranty.
- If it's out of warranty…then it's at least 12 months old…which is not brand new.

* Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So, I'm looking for a warranty or insurance plan that could cover repair costs, if indeed there is a plan. Thanks for your help and insight as always,

The best third party insurance in my opinion is sold by "SquareTrade". They have excellent coverage and service. Look them up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The best third party insurance in my opinion is sold by "SquareTrade". They have excellent coverage and service. Look them up.

Hi Chscag - thanks for posting that link - I've been there before but forgot about the service - impressed w/ the prices, especially if coupons are available from my reading of a few reviews. So, I looked up coverage on an iMac and iPad and the warranty has to be purchased w/i 30 days of buying a new computer/iPad, as quoted below from their website - thus, seems to be an alternative to AppleCare and not a warranty the can be extended once the initial ones expire.

For myself, I now have an iMac & MBPro a few months beyond their 3 year AppleCare warranties - likely will want to replace one or both w/i a year or two, so probably will not 'buy into' the 'extended' offerings of my local Simply Mac store mentioned in one of my previous posts in this thread. Dave :)

Coverage only available for new desktop computers bought in the past 30 days.

Coverage only available for new iPads bought in the past 30 days.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave:

Thanks for the info about SquareTrade. I used them for a new iPhone 5c that I purchased for my wife and their service was great. At one time, I'm almost certain they covered older machines but I may have been thinking of another service.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks for all the great information. I'll be giving SquareTrade a call. The 2015 iMac isn't out of warranty yet, but time really flies and a year can go by pretty fast. I'll ask them about older machines and see what they have to say.
Cheers!
Michael

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.