Blank screen on bootcamp startup

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11/2011
I have a MacBookPro, late 2011 version, 15" with 16 GB memory, a dual boot Windows partition, which is the default boot partition.
Yesterday, I wanted to boot into MacOS X, 10.11. When I hold down the option key to allow this to occur, I just get a blank screen, no cursor. It had worked earlier in the day.
If I let it start without trying to go to the Bootcamp screen, it starts up fine in the default Windows 7, Enterprise, after a 20 second delay.

I have looked around for similar situations, and I did not see a specific case like mine, where I can get into Windows fine but the Bootcamp option does not work.

What should I try? I should mention that this was a work computer so I do not have access to the original operating system disks, for either Mac or Windows.

Thanks much.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

Did you try going into the Boot Camp control panel while in Windows 7 and select OS X as your default startup? If that doesn't work, try restarting your MacBook Pro by holding down the Command plus R keys in order to get into recovery. Then use Disk Utility from Utilities to run First Aid on the hard drive. And by the way, there are no disks for OS X and haven't been since Snow Leopard 10.6.8. Everything is a download from Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11/2011
I tried a few things that I found online and flashing the PRAM seemed to be the one that allowed it boot directly into Bootcamp. I had not tried this earlier thinking that I had to be booting into the Mac side of the partitions, but it seems to have corrected my problem.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Boot up and hold down Option and all drives available will be displayed and take your pick.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11/2011
Boot up and hold down Option and all drives available will be displayed and take your pick.

This was my original problem as when holding down the option key at boot gave a blank screen with no cursor. After a minute or so, it would then boot into Windows (the default boot partition), via bootcamp.

I do need to make a bootable dvd or usb thumb-drive.

Flashing the PRAM [ hold down option, command, R, P at initial power-on ] has seemed to fix this problem for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.