Need to share USB printer on Mac with Windows laptop

S

sm8000

I do helpdesk for a medium sized office. One of our departments is entirely a Mac house, except for two users who each have both a Mac desktop and a Windows laptop. One of these users needs to be able to print to a printer connected via USB to a nearby Mac, from his Windows laptop. The Mac is running OS X 10.3.9, the laptop Windows XP SP1.

So far I have gone into System Preferences -> Sharing and enabled Windows Sharing. I have also enabled printer sharing, the other Macs can print to it just fine. The laptop in question can see the printer, but print jobs fail. I have tried connecting it as a local printer via TCP/IP port (using the Mac's IP address) and as a network printer (192.168.71.95\Epson etc...). Connected by the former I get "The document failed to print" and by the latter nothing happens, everything just sits there. Windows thinks it is printing, but nothing happens - any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i installed bonjour - and worked fine for a couple of months and now cant get it work form my windows pc but yet again my mac just carried on working with no problems!

grrrr

any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Probably a Windows security patch killed it,...no doubt.

OP
S

sm8000

Here's what I did to get it working:

1) Enabled Windows Sharing on the Mac, and shared the printer
2) Got the IP address of the Mac
3) On the laptop, ran the Add Printer Wizard. Added it as a Network Printer: \\192.168.71.95\EPSON etc...
4) When prompted to install a driver for the printer on the laptop, used Apple Color Laserwriter's driver, already included in the list of available Windows drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.