Wifi Dongle Troubles

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brenton here, long time reader, first time poster.

Recently the Wifi chip in my 2011 MacBook Pro stopped working. I took it into the Genius bar here in Sydney to get it sorted and he told me there was little I could do but buy a Wifi dongle that will take up a USB slot but will allow wireless connection. He went so far as to recommend the DLink Nano N300.

After a tricky set up, it all appears (emphasis on appears) to be working - the bars are green and it recognises a Wifi network. However, in System Preferences, it's telling me the adapter is not connected, that it hasn't got an IP address.

I've since called Apple Support, but to no avail there. So I've taken it back to the Genius bar, who told me the Wifi dongle must be defective.

So, I tried the Netgear A6100 Wifi dongle and the same thing is happening - in System Preferences it sometimes shows as green and says the connection is active with an IP address. Even when it is green and apparently 'active', it still won't connect and if it does it's slower than 1998 dial-up speed. Please note, also, that I don't have a driver installed for the Netgear one, as I was told in store it was fully compatible with Mac - the odd thing is that it has recognised the Wifi and been able to connect once or twice (albeit slowly) despite having no driver. It's performed better than the DLink dongle, which has a driver installed.

I'm guessing I've got the settings messed up, or I've not configured it properly, or I haven't paired it correctly with the router or some such thing. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated - I'm a novice when it comes to tech stuff and I've had no net connection on my Mac for weeks and it's driving me insane!

Anyone else had similar issue?

Brenton

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did either of these dongles have any kind of connection software other than drivers? I ask because I had one of these dongle's once that would show the symptoms you are having but would not command unless you used the connection utility to initiate the connection. Consequently, wireless would not actually connect to the Internet until I had opened the utility and manually initiated the connection.

I also discovered that some cards needed a driver to function reliably even if the manufacturer did not have a Mac driver. I would find out what the chipset is inside the dongle and go to that manufacturers website to look for a driver. I think Apple uses mainly Broadcom chips so if you can find one with that chipset it may not have this issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's wrong with using your ethernet connection? Router too far away? You can use an ethernet cable up to 3 meters in length without effecting the signal as long as you buy a good cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Brenton I have never found any dongle to be satisfactory going way back to G4 days. Why did the Genius Bar not replace the Airport Extreme Card I wonder?

OP
B
Reaction score
Brenton I have never found any dongle to be satisfactory going way back to G4 days. Why did the Genius Bar not replace the Airport Extreme Card I wonder?

The "Genius" told me they were unable to replace it because the laptop was too old, they were unable to get the part or do the repair.

Brenton

OP
B
Reaction score
What's wrong with using your ethernet connection? Router too far away? You can use an ethernet cable up to 3 meters in length without effecting the signal as long as you buy a good cable.

Router is a fair distance, but it's worth a shot which may sort it for when I'm at home. I'd still need a solution for connecting to WiFi anywhere else outside home, though.

Brenton

OP
B
Reaction score
No, they didn't. Just the drivers themselves. In the case of the DLink one, I had to download it from another computer onto USB and install it on my Mac.

I'll certainly have a look into the chipset, thanks for the advice.

Brenton

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, then you might be able to find a replacement airport card on eBay. Make sure you get the right one for your machine. Instructions for changing it out can be found at www.ifixit.com.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or find a reseller rather than the Genius. A reseller will do it, but I have done Airport cards in MBP, Mac Pros, G5 etc and generally they are a snack ith only a screw or two and an antenna.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can confirm that the WiFi module in your MBP is replaceable. in fact, you can upgrade it to an 802.11ac card if you don't want to use the original part. Here's a link to a compatible replacement:

http://www.quickertek.com/products/Ucard.html

A trained chimp could replace it, it's that easy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just check the precise model MBP you have, Brenton. Three are listed in Mactracker with 2011 models, one is reported as a straight extreme card and two are reported as builtin. The builtin model requires a slightly different card.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks so much for your assistance so far. I've found a repairer who has said they can do the job with next day pickup for AU$150. Think I'll take it to them. Will definitely post the outcome here on the thread.

Thanks again,

Brenton

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.