how to secure personal info on your mac in case it gets stolen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Maybe / Maybe not it depends upon how much hardware difference there is between the two Macs and to some extent the software involved. The El Capitan installation in my MacBook Pro will probably boot the iMac I cannot take my Yosemite backup and boot that same iMac because Yosemite pre-dates that iMac.
Thanks Sly...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You're welcome HTH.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I am puzzled by the initial query. Personally, I use more secure passwords for banking etc whereas for this forum a simple one. When asked if I want to I save user name and password the first time I access a secure site. I also have a password to open my iMac. The only way somebody would be able to access the saved user names or passwords would be if they knew that 'master password' or the 4 figure password to open my iOS devices. In case you don't already know where to find these saved user names and passwords in OSX they can be found in Preferences in Safari and can be revealed by entering your 'master password' again or in iOS in Safari in Settings.

It may be that others think that this is not very secure. I do also have an Open Office Writer file with hints in it.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Randy I just created a password protected .dmg folder using the new version of Disk Utility on El Capitan and I timed myself. It took 38 sec. And that included loading a file into it, closing it, ejecting it and reopening with password.

Reaction score
Randy I just created a password protected .dmg folder using the new version of Disk Utility on El Capitan and I timed myself. It took 38 sec. And that included loading a file into it, closing it, ejecting it and reopening with password.

Okay, good!

Are you trying to say that doing the job in Disk Utility is so quick and easy that a third party utility isn't even required? If you are, I can't argue with that. You should use the method that you are most comfortable with.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well, I haven't had to create one since Mavericks so I thought there may be something more difficult about it with the current version of Disk Utility but if anything it's faster, so I suppose that is what I'm saying, unless a third party app offers additional features or options.

Reaction score
Well, I haven't had to create one since Mavericks so I thought there may be something more difficult about it with the current version of Disk Utility but if anything it's faster, so I suppose that is what I'm saying, unless a third party app offers additional features or options.

I think that most folks will find Crypt 3:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crypt3/id413756594?mt=12

to be faster and easier to use, and less intimidating (i.e. there are fewer steps that require some thought). And since Crypt 3 is free, I recommend that folks give it a try.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.