Macbook Doesn't Boot but there is Chime sound.

Reaction score
Well Let's start I'm Egyptian and im into Windows and PC Desktops only but i do have some knowledge around the mac and it's os

My sister is in another country and she have macbook recently it doesn't Boot but when she boots it there is a chime sound and the screen stays black

She took it for a technical and he told her it's the hard disk and he was able to boot it from an external usb infront of her "Well idk what happened wasn't there"

And he told her it's the hard disk wires inside the macbook itself? or the sockets something like that which will cost 150 euros

Any idea why the hard disk won't boot?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any idea why the hard disk won't boot?

As I'm sure you must know…a hard drive in a Windows computer or an Apple computer can fail. It's possible the hard drive in the MacBook has failed.

If we had this computer in "front of us" to do some troubleshooting…we possibly could try to more definitively determine if the hard drive has really failed. You're in Egypt…your sister is in another country…and Mac-Forums is everywhere. So this might be a bit complicated.

The first things we would need to know is exactly what model Apple computer is this (be exact & specific)…and what OS version is installed on it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The first things we would need to know is exactly what model Apple computer is this

As it won't boot, it would be easiest to use the model info on the label on the bottom of the case.

No mention of any backup being available anywhere and only a take-apart will show what drive is installed, size, HDD or SSD, which doesn't really matter, just like the OS isn't critical.

Sounds like a new replacement drive and an OS X install and maybe resurrected data and it'll be working again. :\

OP
E
Reaction score
Well the problem she can't be specific She said the OS version is Lion and the macbook she doesn't know also... sorry she is a bit newbie about those stuff.

But It wouldn't be a fail in the hard drive as her technical said it's in the wires that connects the hard drive

Also if it was infront of me i would've determined where is the problem...

OP
E
Reaction score

As it won't boot, it would be easiest to use the model info on the label on the bottom of the case.

No mention of any backup being available anywhere and only a take-apart will show what drive is installed, size, HDD or SSD, which doesn't really matter, just like the OS isn't critical.

Sounds like a new replacement drive and an OS X install and maybe resurrected data and it'll be working again. :\

but how she would replace the os x if it doesn't boot -_-

OP
E
Reaction score
Sorry to duplicate replies but maybe also the problem not in the hard drive at all and the technical is lying to her so i want to detect the problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but how she would replace the os x if it doesn't boot -_-

Hmmm… without wasting everyone's time here, I would suspect that this thread and discussion could carry on for a very long time here, so I'd suggest it would probably be best to just let the Apple technician fix the problem by replacing whatever is needed and restoring the Mac back into useable condition, hopefully as it was.

They should have all the equipment, facilities and knowledge needed to do the repair/restore if at all possible.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Sorry to duplicate replies but maybe also the problem not in the hard drive at all and the technical is lying to her so i want to detect the problem

She would have to try to diagnose the problem. She would need to try booting from another disc if available. This could be an external clone or a USB installer, or even a DVD, if it came with one. Do you know what OS X version she has installed, or which version came with the MBP. She could try Internet Recovery that I posted in my other post.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Well if you have the compatible equipment and knowledge, you could always pull the drive and test it to see if the drive or the ribbon cable is possibly at fault, or find another Apple technician and see what they say.

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also if it was infront of me i would've determined where is the problem...

Maybe.:)

Since both of us (you and we at Mac-Forums) cannot "touch" this computer…we're both in exactly the same boat. BOTH of us are trying to fix this computer at a distance. If you think you have enough knowledge to fix this computer…go for it.

I'm not sure how we help...if as you say...you already know enough to fix this computer on your own.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
No Mac Computers i have limited knowledge to software only i was asking if there are steps to take when there is black screen, but idk like there are in PCs like reset CMOS or bios flash or etc...

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.