Upgrades for Powermac G3 B&W

C

chrisb2999

I just bought a powermac g3 350 mhz 384 ram off ebay for 35 bucks; however, it only has a 12gb hd in there right now. This may seem stupid but what kind of hard drive does this thing take? Does it need something special or can I just buy any internal hd? Also are there any suggested modifications that I should do to this thing to make it more usable (Overclocking?, better Graphics cards)?

Thanks

OP
L

lil

It's a standard IDE drive. You cannot use a drive bigger than 120GB on the internal controller. Recommended upgrades in order of priority are after a HD upgrade:

1. RAM. It can take 1GB maximum.

2. Hard disk controller. The built in one is Ultra ATA/33 (33MB/s) which is slow by today's standards. You will find a massive speed boost by installing a Sonnet Tempo ATA133 IDE controller card. This will also remove the 120GB limit and also some of the problems with the B&W G3's buggy IDE controller in rev. 1 machines.

3. Processor. You can get a faster G3 or G4 upgrade from Sonnet too.

4. Graphics card. You need something like the Radeon 7000/7500/9000 or 9200. These cards support Quartz 2D in Mac OS X 10.2+ and will make the response time of graphics on OS X much much faster.

This should give you enough to think about!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agreed with Vicky on all her points. All highly recomended if you want the most out of the G3 Powermac. Is this a Blue and White Tower? Just making sure. If so, Mod away!!

I have the 300 Mhz version here with 512 Megs RAM and an 80GB hard drive. Makes a nice little Music server. If you do all that Lil suggested though, it will not be a bad little system. Also when you get it, let us know if it has the Revision 1 or 2 motherboard. There are a couple of ways to tell. It's it's Revision 1, the Hard Drive controler has issues with 2 drives installed and sometimes with larger Hard Drives. If it's the older revision, be sure to get that Hard Drive controler that Lil told you about.

You got a very good deal for that low price.

...Dennis

OP
C

chrisb2999

Alright so i got the powermac, and i had both a belkin pci wireless card that is supposed to work with os x, and i had an 80 gb hd lying around. Now how do I tell what rev. the motherboard is? Also, will a geforce 64 mb graphics card with in a powermac B&W?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
chrisb2999 said:
Alright so i got the powermac, and i had both a belkin pci wireless card that is supposed to work with os x, and i had an 80 gb hd lying around. Now how do I tell what rev. the motherboard is? Also, will a geforce 64 mb graphics card with in a powermac B&W?

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/newfeatures.html

Check this URL. Ignore the Video Card but check the IDE Chip numbers and the Dual Drive bracket.

Remember, the B&W has no AGP slot. So if that geforce is AGP, it will not work at all. Also the Video Card has to have a Mac Rom. A lot can be flashed to work with a Mac. Not sure about that card.

...Dennis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.