Suggestions on MBP replacement

Reaction score
My mid-2009 13" MBP still works fine, and does everything I need. But, having just read that it will not be included in the supported platforms for the new O/S I have begun thinking about a replacement. My needs are simple, web surfing, writing, and office applications, email, etc. At home (95% of usage), I keep the MBP in a stand, using a 24" LED Cinema display, wired keyboard and magic mouse. So, it works more like a desktop than a laptop. I would like to continue using this configuration.

But I do occasionally travel, so weight is a factor, and the MBP Air seems like a logical choice. I actually like the 11", but think the 13" would be a better choice (hooked to my display, the size shouldn't matter, I don't think). Can I connect my display to the Air?

I also briefly considered the new Macbook, but don't think the single port would connect to my older display, and I don't want to buy a new one. Also, the Retina display would not be usable with my display, so most of the time I wouldn't get any benefit from it.

Given all of this, the 13" Air seems to be the best choice. But, MacRumors says Don't Buy the Air's, or the Pro's, or the iMac's; and only recommends the Macbook.

Suggestions/thoughts?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given all of this, the 13" Air seems to be the best choice. But, MacRumors says Don't Buy the Air's, or the Pro's, or the iMac's; and only recommends the Macbook.

For clarity. I'm pretty sure they're saying don't purchase these models now…because they may be updated soon. Not saying "Don't Buy" at all.;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Sounds like, given your usage, the air is the perfect way to go. I would wait until the new ones come out though, and then decide if you want a new one, or a cheaper older model. It's not like you need a computer right now anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.