Mail App won't open

Reaction score
Hi there. I am running Mail version 8.2 on Yosemite 10.10.5. The mail app will no longer open and I don't know how to retrieve my emails. Any ideas?
Cheers
Carol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Carol does it still appear in the Dock? If so does it bounce up and down? Can you open from Applications Folder? If not have you tried selecting Mail in Applications and using the File >Open option?

If no joy go to Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions. Next have a read of this from Apple:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6729604?start=0&tstart=0

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi there. I am running Mail version 8.2 on Yosemite 10.10.5. The mail app will no longer open and I don't know how to retrieve my emails. Any ideas?
Cheers
Carol

Until you get your mail app fixed or reinstalled, just go to your ISP web site and access your mail directly using your browser. You didn't mention who your ISP is but most allow direct access to their server.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I try to open it from the doc and get all the file options along the top but there is no viewer window. It doesn't bounce in the dock. Also, the Mail app is not even there when I go to "apps" so can't open it from there. I have a MacBook Pro. I'll have a read of your link and come back to you. Thanks for your help.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, I am doing that but I really need to access the emails that are already downloaded in the Mail app.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If you get the menu options for mail along the top then the program is still there and has not been removed. Something else is happening. Try the following and see if it helps:

1. Try to launch Mal and wait for the menu items to appear across the top. Don't worry about how many times it bounces.
2. When the menu items appear at the top press Option Command and N simultaneously. Does a new viewer window appear with the emails there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.