Email Text Body Formatting - double-space doublespace

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know of a resolution to the email text formatting issue on a Mac?

I have a Mac Pro running Yosemite, using Mail for the email client app.

After decades of using MS Outlook for email and its efficient interface with everything Microsoft, I find that this Mac cannot format double-space in the body text of an email.
Mac support is zero help.

Their second line support staffer said "Try some different third-party client apps."

No kidding.

All I want to do is to copy and paste in text from a Pages document, and NOT have Mail reformat the text to single-space.

I am an author, and when I send a query, or send a manuscript to a literary agent, they all insist that the text is double-space, Times New Roman size 12, in the body of the email.
There is no way around it.

I refuse to believe that there isn't a resolution to this.

Thanks all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Hmmm…??? I sure would question the statement "using MS Outlook for email and its efficient interface with everything Microsoft" and the latter part may make some choke a bit, but they liked to use formatted text with their email because they basically invented it and everyone else disposed it or didn't use it because it didn't always work, and still doesn't:
http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/29/always-send-mail-as-plain-text-in-mac-os-x/

But then Apple started setting their Mail to use Rich Text to try and keep up I guess:
"Email defaults to wanting to send as rich text, meaning bold text, highlighting, fonts, italics, and the usual formatting options that correspond with page layout and fancier looking mail messages. "

Personally I find Apple did a very poor job of implementing any proper formatting in their Mail app and they seem to like to force one to use their Mail Stationary.

Probably the best I can suggest is to google on some type of info or tutorials, maybe using:
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+mail+formatting&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
or
https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mac+mail+rich+text&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

PS: Some things will be different depending on the OS X and Mail.app version you're using which you didn't mention.

But to maybe save you some trouble, maybe note the attachment below and see what you can end up with by doing what I do and use the Mail's "Customize toolbar" and add the "Format" icon to make access quicker and easier, and you can see all the text options you then have available:

Screen Shot 2016-06-10 at 1.41.31 PM.png

- Patrick
======

M

MacInWin

Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that you cannot control what arrives, only what you send. The recipient is in total control of how things look on the receiving end unless you either send a word processor document (.doc, .docx, .rtf, etc) or a PDF. Otherwise, you might have it look to be double-spaced on your system but arrive as single-spaced because that's how the recipient set it. So if formatting is that critical to you, use Word and attach the .doc or .docx document. You said you are using Pages, so you can create a PDF by printing the document and when the print dialog box opens, select PDF and save the file from there. Or you can use File/Export and export the file to a Word format to send. Personally, the only way to absolutely guarantee double spacing is the PDF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.